The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   72 gmc front end parts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812588)

too much stuff 09-29-2020 08:26 AM

72 gmc front end parts

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the 72 jimmy i am working on will need most front end pieces. Ball joints, tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves etc...
I am told that USA moog parts are very good. Just looking for other opinions and does anyone know if there is an overhaul kit that would carry all of these parts?
1972 jimmy 4x4.
Thanks.

Willys_MB 09-29-2020 08:54 AM

Re: 72 gmc front end parts

I just rebuilt mine with all Moog part and I couldn't be happier. Moog is known for their quality and that's what I put on all my cars. They're not the cheapest, but they're also not the most expensive.

You'll have to piece it together or else you'll pay a premium through some online vendor for them to have put it together. It's pretty straight forward. There are plenty of posts on here where people have assembled parts lists for this project.

One thing to note is that the original ball joints were riveted in, so you'll have to get an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel into some tight spaces. I did mine with the front end off of the truck, so I can't help you there.

Willys_MB 09-29-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willys_MB (Post 8815365)
I just rebuilt mine with all Moog part and I couldn't be happier. Moog is known for their quality and that's what I put on all my cars. They're not the cheapest, but they're also not the most expensive.

You'll have to piece it together or else you'll pay a premium through some online vendor for them to have put it together. It's pretty straight forward. There are plenty of posts on here where people have assembled parts lists for this project.

One thing to note is that the original ball joints were riveted in, so you'll have to get an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel into some tight spaces. I did mine with the front end off of the truck, so I can't help you there.

One more thing... I checked a lot of places and the cheapest parts ALL came through either rock auto or amazon.

57taskforce 09-29-2020 09:24 AM

Moog is definitely the way I’d go. There parts have never failed me. I don’t know of any overhaul kits per say but the part numbers for what you need are floating around on the web for sure. I’ll try and grab a list of the 4x4 stuff and post it up in the 4x4 section if I get a minute this evening.

On the K trucks, the ball joints aren’t riveted they are just pressed into the axle “C’s”.

GASoline71 09-29-2020 10:11 AM

I rebuilt the entire front end of my 72 GMC with Moog parts. You won't be disappointed. I also replaced the LCA shaft U-bolts and upgraded to the 9/16" bolts. I got them from Summit Racing. Didn't even have to drill out the holes in the crossmember for them to fit. All the Moog parts I got from my local auto parts store.

All of that should be in my build thread from after I had wrecked my truck.

Gary

gmc684x4 09-29-2020 10:38 AM

Last few years i have been buying all my moog parts from Rock auto

too much stuff 09-29-2020 09:32 PM

I appreciate all of the input. I have NAPA/moog parts coming.
The shop said everything looks like original parts on it yet and it is just worn out...