The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Name the tool (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812714)

Andy4639 10-01-2020 03:16 PM

Name the tool

2 Attachment(s)
I have a tool a friend made me about 15 year ago. Anybody want to take a guess at what it is used for?

He personalized it for me also.
:chevy:

truckster 10-01-2020 04:42 PM

Re: Name the tool

Breaking loose a fan?

kwmech 10-01-2020 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Diff yoke holding tool, just like the one I made for the Toyotas I do

kwmech 10-01-2020 05:26 PM

What do I win???

special-K 10-01-2020 06:49 PM

It already has a name. Pimp Daddy! Is it for holding a flywheel or flex plate?

Andy4639 10-01-2020 08:28 PM

None are correct so far. I will post the correct answer tomorrow.:chevy:

Grumpy old man 10-01-2020 08:54 PM

Looks about the size of a golf cart hub with 4 lugs ? Is it used to hold the axle/ rotor when changing bad bearings ? :smoke:

truckster 10-01-2020 09:29 PM

Sharpen the edge and you'd have a dandy tomahawk.

weq92f 10-01-2020 10:31 PM

Old School Customs eh...

Well it is a nice looking piece for sure but I really wish some scale could be made out in the pictures I mean this thing could be 5 ft long LOL!!!

I'm going to guess that it is only about 16" or so, probably less.

Appears to me it's a leverage buying instrument of some sort. The central opening likely catches the center of a hub and the smaller openings gather two or more protrusions ( studs/nipples ). The handle is then used to stabilize the rotation of the now captured "thing" so that torque can be applied.

I have no idea what the "thing" would be though. Maybe motorcycle parts, golf cart or small engine parts? It would be something that you work on often or otherwise no need for the tool.

-klb

Getter-Done 10-01-2020 10:32 PM

A tool that is handy for doing brake jobs on a golf cart?

Andy4639 10-01-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8816706)
Looks about the size of a golf cart hub with 4 lugs ? Is it used to hold the axle/ rotor when changing bad bearings ? :smoke:

Grumpy, you are on the right path and pretty much being right.

It's for a golf cart rear brake hub to break the castle nut loose when taking the rear hub off for brake work. It would be the same for the bearings.

Quote:

Getter-Done,
A tool that is handy for doing brake jobs on a golf cart?
I knew you would know what it was sir!
:metal:

My good friend Eddie Hill made this for me after I did my first brake job on my 89 Ezgo. I posted about what a pain it was holding the hub with a screw driver to break the castle nut loose. He made it without saying anything until he gave it to me.
Eddie passed away from cancer a few years later. Things like this are what makes life so special to me.
:metal:

truckster 10-01-2020 11:10 PM

It could still be a tomahawk - a dual-purpose tool.

Andy4639 10-02-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8816773)
It could still be a tomahawk - a dual-purpose tool.

Yea I guess. In today world it would be a good tool to have handy on the road no doubt!:chevy:

1976gmc20 10-02-2020 11:00 AM

So you don't loosen the castle nut before jacking up and taking off the wheel/tire ?

Andy4639 10-03-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8816924)
So you don't loosen the castle nut before jacking up and taking off the wheel/tire ?

Taking the nut off with the wheel on is a pain. If you if your doing it with a long extension and ratchet handle. Try to get the cotter key out and breaking the castle nut loose is tough trying to hold the cart from moving. A lot of the older Ezgo had a washer cup on them also that wouldn't let the cotter key come out also.:chevy:

1976gmc20 10-03-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8817339)
Taking the nut off with the wheel on is a pain. If you if your doing it with a long extension and ratchet handle. Try to get the cotter key out and breaking the castle nut loose is tough trying to hold the cart from moving. A lot of the older Ezgo had a washer cup on them also that wouldn't let the cotter key come out also.:chevy:

Small deep dish wheel, eh? I see ;)

Some guys used to service wheel bearings (rwd front & trailers) without even taking off the tire/wheel. I was always afraid that I would damage the seal or something trying to remove & replace the hub with all that extra weight.

And I was thinking about the big axle nut on fwd and ifs 4wd: you darn sure want to loosen that thing before you jack it up, if you're going to replace the axle and/or the sealed bearing hub.

Andy4639 10-03-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8817365)
Small deep dish wheel, eh? I see ;)

Some guys used to service wheel bearings (rwd front & trailers) without even taking off the tire/wheel. I was always afraid that I would damage the seal or something trying to remove & replace the hub with all that extra weight.

And I was thinking about the big axle nut on fwd and ifs 4wd: you darn sure want to loosen that thing before you jack it up, if you're going to replace the axle and/or the sealed bearing hub.

I always loosen the wheel lugs before lifting it. That axle nut is on there tight most times if done right. The hub & axle are splind and it has to be good and tight are the torque of the motor will work it back and forth until the hub strips.
So holding it is the key to getting it off once jacked up.
:chevy: