The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Vintage air, radiator cooling fans (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816248)

General23cmp 12-29-2020 07:36 PM

Vintage air, radiator cooling fans

Who here has Vintage Air, and what did you do for you electric fans? I know a guy that has this, and he said he had to keep his dual fans on high to avoid excessive head pressure. That’s certainly doable, but I’m not sure how his is set up and the quality of his fans.

Do you normally have your low fan setting turn on one of the two fans at high speed or do you have both come on at a low speed like many LS cars had (high would be both at high speed....this is done with three relays)? What do you have happen when the AC turns the fans on (one fan or two, high speed or low?)?

Thanks.

ls1nova71 12-30-2020 06:06 AM

Re: Vintage air, radiator cooling fans

The high and low fan speeds are controlled by the PCM based on engine temperature. For A/C, the fans should be controlled by a trinary switch so they come on based on head pressure. They need to come on high as there is only one setting that they will come on, so if you set them to come on low, if that isn't enough there would be no way to trigger the high speed.

nsb29 12-30-2020 09:10 PM

I have duel fans controlled by the ecm and three relays both fans run on low speed or high depending on temperature for the a/c I have a binary switch and a high pressure transducer Which will allow the ECM to see the pressure of the AC system so that it can stage the cooling fans accordingly bump the idle and calculate load this is how all LS equipped vehicles operate in factory form

General23cmp 12-30-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8856687)
I have duel fans controlled by the ecm and three relays both fans run on low speed or high depending on temperature for the a/c I have a binary switch and a high pressure transducer Which will allow the ECM to see the pressure of the AC system so that it can stage the cooling fans accordingly bump the idle and calculate load this is how all LS equipped vehicles operate in factory form

Is your AC compressor factory LS style or Vintage Air Sanden? What year LS did you use, and do you recall if the ECM needed a ground or 12v on the pin that tells it that the AC is on? Some LS engines use 12v and some use ground. Mine is an 02 LQ9.

nsb29 12-31-2020 08:56 AM

The compressor is Sanden, as for the transducer there are three wires that go to it, harness is from BPautomotive I have no idea what pin or pins they go to.
The engine is out of a 2009 Pontiac G8 L76

paul mora 12-31-2020 12:19 PM

If you bought the widening harness from BP give them a call the tech support can answer all you questions

1971Stepside 12-31-2020 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put the inline pressure switch in and use a binary switch along with dual fans on the Entropy radiator.