The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Exhaust Pipe under Oil Pan (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816924)

hooverfish 01-14-2021 02:52 PM

Exhaust Pipe under Oil Pan

1 Attachment(s)
Had new single exhaust system from Waldrons installed. Changed the oil today and notice that the crossover pipe is touching the oil pan as it crosses from right side of truck to the left.

I'm worried this will make the oil temp go up too high.
Is this a problem that I need to get fixed ??
If so, best solution ??

kwmech 01-14-2021 03:06 PM

Re: Exhaust Pipe under Oil Pan

Factory had the pipes close to the pans for years without issues. Not supposed to touch though. The factory pipes molded around the front of the sump not under it

weq92f 01-14-2021 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

If it's actually touching/rubbing the pan that would not be good and should be corrected as over time a problem is likely ( heat? Not so much maybe. )

Can you get a wrench on the drain plug?

-klb

sick472 01-14-2021 03:14 PM

Touching is way to close...you can't get any closer, lol. Get that fixed and your shop should take care of that for you. That's a no brainer. I'm no exhaust expert, but I'd ask for an inch clearance, but might settle for 1/2" if an inch seems impossible.

68Gold/white 01-14-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sick472 (Post 8864114)
Touching is way to close...you can't get any closer, lol. Get that fixed and your shop should take care of that for you. That's a no brainer. I'm no exhaust expert, but I'd ask for an inch clearance, but might settle for 1/2" if an inch seems impossible.

X2!!!
Oil has enough challenges as it is. An exhaust pipe on the oil pan wouldn't cut it for me. A good exhaust guy can likely help you!!!

hooverfish 01-14-2021 05:23 PM

Yes I will get it back there in a day or two. Oil plug is no problem.
I can get a piece of sand paper in between most of the pipe/pan but
it is actually touching in one spot. Thinking maybe flatten that section of pipe a little and make it oval.
And THANK you guys for your input.

dmjlambert 01-14-2021 11:54 PM

I am curious if the Waldron's exhaust system is made to expect an exhaust manifold heat riser valve, which I think would add some length to the driver side pipe if installed. Do you have the valve on yours?

ChevyRacefan 01-15-2021 12:50 AM

Many Chevy small block cars from the factory have the pipe running between the sump and cross member.
Is the heat riser missing on your truck?

hooverfish 01-15-2021 09:12 AM

No heat riser on the truck. Anyone know where I can get the actual heat riser ?

I do see 'heat riser delete' (spacer) part for sale, which may give me more length and solve my problem. Thoughts ?

edit: JEGS has them for $60.

68Gold/white 01-15-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooverfish (Post 8864428)
No heat riser on the truck. Anyone know where I can get the actual heat riser ?

I do see 'heat riser delete' (spacer) part for sale, which may give me more length and solve my problem. Thoughts ?

edit: JEGS has them for $60.

I'd just get the Jegs unit. It will space the pipe down, enough. I don't think there were ever any heat riser deletes...

dagnabbitt 01-15-2021 03:41 PM

You must be getting a heck of a drone from those two parts touching, you will probably notice the difference in sound when you get it fixed.

Steeveedee 01-16-2021 12:47 AM

There would never have been a "heat riser delete" option, as has been pointed out. Regardless, any decent muffler guy would never have put the crossover ("Y") pipe that close to the oil pan. It was never put that closely from the factory. The guy was just careless, and should make it right.

Steeveedee 01-16-2021 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnabbitt (Post 8864599)
You must be getting a heck of a drone from those two parts touching, you will probably notice the difference in sound when you get it fixed.

Not to mention that eventually the pipe would wear into the pan and potentially cause a leak.

ChevyRacefan 01-16-2021 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8864792)
There would never have been a "heat riser delete" option, as has been pointed out. Regardless, any decent muffler guy would never have put the crossover ("Y") pipe that close to the oil pan. It was never put that closely from the factory. The guy was just careless, and should make it right.

I think, but maybe wrong, the vehicle owner supplied an exhaust kit, the shop only installed what the customer provided. This is also why many shops won't use customer sourced parts. The shop gets blamed for the parts not fitting correctly. or lack of space between other parts because of non stock/missing parts.
The "y" pipe isn't going to move around and bang against the oil pan as it they both move together on the engine that is in mounts. But the lack of air gap will heat the oil in the pan.
I would find the missing part and put it in.

mr.mud1 01-16-2021 02:10 AM

i think you'll find the ex manifold on the heat riser side has a flat flange as there was a flat gasket between the heat riser and manifold,then the bevel for the donut gasket was in the heat riser.the exhaust system wouldn't fit the manifolds correctly,or even seal properly
and because you don't have that extra length of the heat riser,you're running into the oil pan.if you don't have the heat riser,any auto parts store that sells exhaust,or your local muffler shop should have it.

Rods 01-16-2021 09:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is how we did the exhaust on my 1971 GMC it was a frame off original build the exhaust looked and worked great.

Thought i would share some pics of the specific area to show the clearance from the oil pan.....and a few of the full exhaust system.

Hope these pics will help out.

hooverfish 02-01-2021 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update on my problem, got the parts installed and now have more than an inch of clearance
between the pan and the crossover pipe. But it wasn't easy.

Ordered one 'exhaust manifold spacer' and shop worked 90 minutes before deciding I have to put one on each side to properly fit exhaust system.
But they said no charge since they didn't fix it.
So ordered another spacer ($40 each) and returned a week later.
They worked 3 hours, had to replace the original studs with 3" studs, of course one broke, etc.
Also had to remove whole system slightly to the rear since the exhaust manifolds angle that way. Ended up doing a nice job.

Thank you all for the input and pictures.

dmjlambert 02-01-2021 09:18 PM

Thanks for the update. I was just thinking of this thread earlier today wondering how it worked out.

ChevyRacefan 02-02-2021 01:17 AM

Glad you got it all sorted.