The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OEM Radio question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=817495)

Too Tall 01-25-2021 05:19 PM

OEM Radio question

I have an OEM Am/FM cassette that I took out of an 88 suburban.
It worked fantastic in the Burb before I took it out.
I had a friend who's very good at electronics have a look to see if he could add an auxiliary plug and delete the cassette. He didn't pull anything apart. Just tested for power supplies to the different components.
Now with it all installed and hooked up, all I get is a slight buzz/hiss sound out of the speakers at full volume. On radio or cassette.
My friend checked to see if he'd done something, but nothing seems to be amiss!
Any thoughts?!
Thanks

78 Big10 454 01-25-2021 05:53 PM

Re: OEM Radio question

What type of antenna are you using?

Too Tall 01-26-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 (Post 8869807)
What type of antenna are you using?

The antenna on the Suburban is a fender mount. The truck I put it in is an 81 C10, windshield antenna.
I took the radio out and put it back in the Sub, in case there was something I'd done or missed. But no difference.
I get no sound from the radio or cassette. Except a slight buzz/hiss at full volume.
Thanks for the reply!

Dead Parrot 01-26-2021 03:34 PM

Taking the covers off of a 33 year old radio always carries some risk. Especially if you poke around the insides. All it takes is one static electric spark in the wrong place to kill something. Another suspect would be a bit of loose solder that was happily resting in a lower corner that when the radio was removed and poked at, managed to find a new resting place across a pair of circuit traces.

Might try gently rattling the radio in different positions and listen for something 'tinking' around inside.

Double check the radio for any internal fuses. Electronic devices sometimes have fuses soldered in as a last ditch way to prevent fires. The normal 'repair' in such cases is to replace the entire unit. Not a totally bad idea when it is a normal stock item. Sucks when it is decades after the last item came off the supply shelf.

Too Tall 01-26-2021 05:06 PM

Thanks Parrot
I took the covers off to see if there was anything loose or broken, gave it a little shake and little love tap as well LOL. But nothing.
I'll have to see if I can score one from another donor.
Just thought I'd ask in case someone else had run into the same thing, and it was an easy fix.
This forum is awesome, answered a lot of questions for me already!

hatzie 01-26-2021 07:35 PM

Most Delco radios of this vintage didn't have much, if anything, inside that was terribly static sensitive.
You're dealing with 35 year old electronics. The fact that it failed after you opened it up may actually be coincidental.
Really high quality electrolytic capacitors can last three plus decades. It's unlikely Delco used that quality level of components.

Simply turning it on and running it for X number of minutes was probably enough to cause a component failure inside.

Is this AM/FM/Cassette deck an analog display or one of the digital display units?
You can likely get the SAMS booklet for the radio in question if you have the skill set to repair it.

ron350 01-26-2021 09:43 PM

Sounds like your friend might have pooched the output amps but Delco's were known for bad solder joints.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and want help post a thread over at badcap forum and see if any one will help.

Too Tall 01-26-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron350 (Post 8870491)
Sounds like your friend might have pooched the output amps but Delco's were known for bad solder joints.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and want help post a thread over at badcap forum and see if any one will help.

I will do that thanks.