The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   86 4 spd won’t shift (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820921)

kevinmfduane 04-20-2021 04:31 PM

86 4 spd won’t shift

Guys,
I have an 86 that someone added an older Muncie 4spd to at some point. I had a new clutch installed and then it sat for 2 years. I just charged the battery and sprayed some carb cleaner in the Holley. It fired right up. The clutch pedal presses down like I remember but the shifter won’t go into gear now that it’s running. Just earlier today it would go into gear before I had it running. The reservoir for the clutch was almost empty. I added dot 3 fluid. What should I do next?

hatzie 04-20-2021 05:16 PM

Re: 86 4 spd won’t shift

Bleed the slave cylinder.

84 400 04-20-2021 07:04 PM

Bleeding these clutches can be hard. I normally remove the master and slave and resivour as a unit and hold the slave above the resivout to bleed.

With the engine off and you put it in granny or reverse? Holding the clutch down start the truck does it move with the clutch depressed? Clutch disc could be stuck but I bet it's just air or a bad hydro component.

hatzie 04-20-2021 07:37 PM

The squarebody hydraulic clutches were a pain in the neck to bleed out.
You can do it with just the slave off. Tip the slave to put the bleeder at the top and push the slave plunger in and out.

The new parts quality was poo in the late 1990's. I went through five new master cylinders and more slave cylinders before I got one that didn't leak on my 1985 C10.

Jeepwm69 04-22-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinmfduane (Post 8911020)
Guys,
I have an 86 that someone added an older Muncie 4spd to at some point. I had a new clutch installed and then it sat for 2 years. I just charged the battery and sprayed some carb cleaner in the Holley. It fired right up. The clutch pedal presses down like I remember but the shifter won’t go into gear now that it’s running. Just earlier today it would go into gear before I had it running. The reservoir for the clutch was almost empty. I added dot 3 fluid. What should I do next?

One of my Jeeps does that after sitting for long periods. The clutch rusts to the flywheel.

Try putting it in 3rd gear, push the clutch, and then try to start it. Make sure no one is in front of you when you do it, as it will likely roll forward until the flywheel breaks loose.

If the clutch reservoir was "almost empty" it shouldn't have air in the lines, IMO.