The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Welcome Area (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Weekend Warrior, Sunshine State 71' C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=827996)

Finally 11-21-2021 09:26 PM

Weekend Warrior, Sunshine State 71' C10

5 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

This is my first post and introduction to the forum. This is my first restoration project but I am a long time car guy and have worked leisurely on all types of cars for years. I went all in on this project and will learn as I go. I know just enough to be dangerous, I will read and research a lot to figure out the rest (hopefully) I bought it for a project, a learning experience and I will sell it. It will keep me busy for a while, hence the title, I only work on it over the weekends when I have time. I have long days on my M-F job, and love my weekend hobbies that help keep the stress low..

I bought this truck on face-book marketplace as a running, driving DD from the previous owner. There are a lot of original parts (though they all need clean up or replacement), since it was neglected for years. A lot of rust, oil leaking from everywhere, but he kept it running. It shifted well and started right up, but a full Resto was required. Another previous owner did a half-a$$ resto in the mid-90s. (Newspaper and bondo is the body work👎🏻

Specs when I purchased it back February, 2021.

1. Engine was swapped with a 400 SBC (77' build date)
2. Turbo hydromatic transmission
3. No SPID
4. Had rear coils, but a Leaf spring swap was done. no idea why
5. 12 bolt rear end, (3.07 gears I believe)

I am doing a full resto, but plan on saving costs wherever I can. I will be doing all the work (body work, painting, electrical, engine, exhaust, suspension etc) That being said, I am not changing anything.. Meaning.. Not lowering, chopping, or Customizing. Basically, keeping it "stock" which in my situation, stock is how I bought it.

The current state after 8 months is now 98% torn apart as you can see from the picture. Now, I have to start cleaning, sand blasting and figuring out what parts I need to replace. I have a lot to learn and this forum has been very helpful. I am not afraid of tedious work, so I will fabricate or replace parts the hard way in order to keep the costs down. The less I spend on the c10, the more I can spend on whatever the next project will be

Thank you for reading this, I Hope to add updates as much as possible.

Ol Blue K20 11-23-2021 10:34 AM

Re: Weekend Warrior, Sunshine State 71' C10

You should start a build thread

The Rocknrod 11-23-2021 07:16 PM

Welcome to the forum, nice truck.

Finally 11-23-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8998876)
You should start a build thread

Yeah, maybe I will! I know I will need input when I start to put everything back together, which will be soon.

LT7A 12-03-2021 10:15 AM

Wow, you're getting after it. Was going to say hubcaps, mirrors, and a lick of paint on the driver's fender and you'd be good to go, haha. Full resto will be cool and I agree with Ol Blue K20 that a build thread would be a good way to follow your progress.