The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Upper Radiator Hose driving me crazy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=829763)

cst350 01-13-2022 08:01 PM

Upper Radiator Hose driving me crazy

3 Attachment(s)
I have been trying to replace my upper radiator hose on my "69 small block. The old hose has a number printed on it. I have owned this truck since 1980 and know its history. The hose was correct when I purchased it. BUT NOW the same number gets me a different hose! WTF!!!

Check out the pictures below. My old hose is the one on the bottom. The PN is clearly visible 3947120 UT. The new hose on the top has the same number printed on it but is the wrong shape. BTW this is the third hose I have ordered from different suppliers, all have been the "new" shape. I am also including a picture of my truck with the hose installed and also a pic of a bone stock truck I found on the board.

I am hopping someone on the board knows where I can get the original shaped hose.

GASoline71 01-13-2022 08:53 PM

Re: Upper Radiator Hose driving me crazy

You say "ordered"... are you only using online vendors?

Take your old hose in to an auto parts store and see what matches.

Gary

RustyPile 01-13-2022 09:12 PM

If you're willing to use something other than genuine GM parts, try a Gates hose.. Part # 20827. Shaped pretty much like your old hose..

cst350 01-13-2022 11:02 PM

Yeah... don't need OG parts!

Have a friend at a NAPA store. Unfortunately Im in California so they don't stock anything. He has the old hose and is doing everything he can...

I will let him know @ Gates hose.. Part # 20827

Appreciate the knowledge...

cst350 01-16-2022 06:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Problem Solved!

Took my original hose to NAPA and the guy ordered every hose that looked close. After pouring over all of them I came across PN 7948. I ended up cutting 3 1/2" from the radiator end and the last "corner' and straight section from the Thermostat end. End result is even better for clearing the alternator on my Serpentine setup.

cangim 01-17-2022 11:08 AM

Another add, I used a Napa 7459 for the upper rad hose

Palf70Step 01-17-2022 12:03 PM

I'd say using the serpentine belt setup adds a bit to the interference issue, but glad you found something that works. I can't remember what I used in the past with the serpentine set up, but I didn't have stock radiator either.

Randy54885 02-12-2022 10:07 AM

CST350,
What swivel thermostat housing are you using? Looks like 15 degree, is that correct? I'm dealing with the same issue right now and NAPA has the 7948 hose on order after all the others I've tried haven't worked.
Do you have the brace that goes from the back of the tensioner pulley mount to the intake or water pump (2 different size braces), I didn't see one in the photos. Mine goes from the upper bolt hole on the tensioner mount to the driver side front intake "stud" and might interfere slightly. I'll know tomorrow.
Thanks, Randy

cst350 02-12-2022 01:48 PM

Yes, Thermostat housing is Billet Specialties BLK90320 (15 deg) I does put some pressure on the hose (clockwise) to get that gap between the hose and alternator.

I do not have the brace on the back of the tensioner. I got the serpentine kit from a fellow member but the only brace that I could get to fit was the alternator to header brace. If you get one to work around the hose I would love to see a picture of it.

54blackhornet 02-29-2024 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cst350 (Post 9018579)
I have been trying to replace my upper radiator hose on my "69 small block. The old hose has a number printed on it. I have owned this truck since 1980 and know its history. The hose was correct when I purchased it. BUT NOW the same number gets me a different hose! WTF!!!

Check out the pictures below. My old hose is the one on the bottom. The PN is clearly visible 3947120 UT. The new hose on the top has the same number printed on it but is the wrong shape. BTW this is the third hose I have ordered from different suppliers, all have been the "new" shape. I am also including a picture of my truck with the hose installed and also a pic of a bone stock truck I found on the board.

I am hopping someone on the board knows where I can get the original shaped hose.

Man you have one fine looking pickup ! Beautiful workmanship.

Already Gone 03-01-2024 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently redid the engine in my truck and used these silicone hoses from Cold Case. Not the cheapest but considering what else I spent not too bad for me. I didn't like that they had their logo imbedded in the hose right where u look so removed it. You can se the hose in the pic and fits perfect. Had to cut the bottom one slightly to fit. https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/pr...kit?sku=HGM020

Accelo 03-01-2024 03:16 PM

If $55 + $15 shipping doesn't scare you off, there is one on Fleabay.

NOS GM Chevrolet 1967-1972 Chevy Truck Radiator Inlet Hose #3947120

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33507871868...Bk9SR-DPhLe_Yw