The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   When is it time to sell? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=830455)

JMac11 02-01-2022 09:07 AM

When is it time to sell?

My boys have little interest in my Blazer, that might change. The market is nuts right now so there is an urge to sell but when their gone their gone....... Anyone thinking along the same lines.....

truckster 02-01-2022 02:28 PM

Re: When is it time to sell?

I drive my Blazer every day. When to sell it will be a problem my kids will have to deal with when I'm dead.

How old are your boys? All of mine want my Blazer, but they're all adults now.

72gmguy 02-01-2022 04:42 PM

Not all that different from housing values where I live. People keep telling me to sell because values are so high but if I sell I have to move off the island I live on. If you sell your blazer now you may never be able to afford another. You will have to switch to scouts or ramchargers for your fix until they go up in value.

truckster 02-01-2022 07:33 PM

I just took a closer look at the Blazer in your avatar. It looks like a nice truck. If you enjoy it, don't sell it.

hemi43 02-01-2022 08:35 PM

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMac11 (Post 9028161)
My boys have little interest in my Blazer, that might change. The market is nuts right now so there is an urge to sell but when their gone their gone....... Anyone thinking along the same lines.....

I'm thinking the same thing. Might be time to flog my Blazer too while the prices are hot and they haven't been banned yet by the leftists. Gotta save the planet ya know!! :rolleyes:

DeadheadNM 02-01-2022 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thinking this:

Tuff Gong 02-01-2022 11:33 PM

You can definitely get good money for them right now. I sold my 2wd blazer not too long ago.

HeloCrewChief 02-02-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72gmguy (Post 9028379)
Not all that different from housing values where I live. People keep telling me to sell because values are so high but if I sell I have to move off the island I live on. If you sell your blazer now you may never be able to afford another. You will have to switch to scouts or ramchargers for your fix until they go up in value.

This is exactly the way I think. I could sell my house since the market is crazy but, then what? Same with the Blazer. Restoration parts prices have gone up or are unobtainable. It is extremely hard to build anything right now because of back order issues. Even if I got $100k for my Blazer, I'm not so sure I would feel great about it.

hemi43 02-02-2022 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeloCrewChief (Post 9028898)
This is exactly the way I think. I could sell my house since the market is crazy but, then what? Same with the Blazer. Restoration parts prices have gone up or are unobtainable. It is extremely hard to build anything right now because of back order issues. Even if I got $100k for my Blazer, I'm not so sure I would feel great about it.

Even if I got 60K I'd be selling mine.
We are talking Blazers here! One of the easiest vehicles to redo because they share most of their parts with the pickups, and there's tons of aftermarket available.
If you're looking to restore one to factory specs using OEM components, then yeah, it will cost a lot more to redo. Unfortunately, IMHO, restoring one all original (unless that's what you want) is a waste of money. The people spending huge dollars don't care if it has all the factory bolts, they just want a cool truck to drive around, and that's why most the the high dollar Blazers are restomods with a late model drive train.
If you do all the work yourself, you can easily build one for 30K, and you will double your money when it comes time to sell it.
I've been doing this many many years, and that's the reason I built a Blazer and sold my Street Rod. I attend SEMA every year, and I could see how the market was going to go in a few years, and this is is why I built a Blazer. I'm into Mopars (hence my user name) and would have preferred a Ramcharger or Trail duster, but it would have cost double the money to redo one, and it would be worth half of what a Blazer sells for.
Other than my time, I've never lost any money on my projects.
I own a fab shop, and building components for racing and collectibles is what I do, and I shake my head at how much money people sink into these vehicles.
I like making money, not losing it. LOL

72gmguy 02-02-2022 05:56 PM

The only problem with that is the prices of projects are being drug up with all these high sales. Think about Broncos in the past decade. These project trucks are going be $30k and then you have to restore them. At some point you will have to get $100k to break even on these builds. Some of the trucks at these auctions have $20-30k in drivetrains not to mention paint and bodywork. Even if you do everything yourself you still need parts. And your time needs to be worth something. That is a lot of time to spend just to break even when you sell.

CG 02-02-2022 06:58 PM

If you sell your house you still need a place to live.

If you sell your Blazer you don't need it to live in. Sacrilege to say to you Blazer owners I know =)

I'm not a wealthy fella so if something I own that isn't an absolute "need" has gone through the roof I'm calling that a win and cashing in.

HeloCrewChief 02-02-2022 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9028962)
Even if I got 60K I'd be selling mine.
We are talking Blazers here! One of the easiest vehicles to redo because they share most of their parts with the pickups, and there's tons of aftermarket available.
If you're looking to restore one to factory specs using OEM components, then yeah, it will cost a lot more to redo. Unfortunately, IMHO, restoring one all original (unless that's what you want) is a waste of money. The people spending huge dollars don't care if it has all the factory bolts, they just want a cool truck to drive around, and that's why most the the high dollar Blazers are restomods with a late model drive train.
If you do all the work yourself, you can easily build one for 30K, and you will double your money when it comes time to sell it.
I've been doing this many many years, and that's the reason I built a Blazer and sold my Street Rod. I attend SEMA every year, and I could see how the market was going to go in a few years, and this is is why I built a Blazer. I'm into Mopars (hence my user name) and would have preferred a Ramcharger or Trail duster, but it would have cost double the money to redo one, and it would be worth half of what a Blazer sells for.
Other than my time, I've never lost any money on my projects.
I own a fab shop, and building components for racing and collectibles is what I do, and I shake my head at how much money people sink into these vehicles.
I like making money, not losing it. LOL

$30,000 doesn’t even get you a rusty project to start with. 8 bids and 3 days left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32501763909...wAAOSwNY9h8dCW

hemi43 02-03-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeloCrewChief (Post 9029087)
$30,000 doesn’t even get you a rusty project to start with. 8 bids and 3 days left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32501763909...wAAOSwNY9h8dCW

If it sells for that much, then there's a lot of stupid people in this world. Either that, or more money than brains. I guess I got lucky when I bought mine a few years ago for 10K CND (about $7500 US). Was is excellent shape and drove it home over 200 miles.
If I wanted another Blazer I would build one from a pickup. Would be fairly simple to do now that panels are reproduced.

If I lived in the States, I would be buying up square body Blazers and pickups and stockpiling. These have already gone up in the past couple years, but they will skyrocket in the next couple. Another vehicle that will skyrocket is early 70s Japanese cars.

Thanks for that link, I'll keep an eye on it.

hemi43 02-03-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72gmguy (Post 9029009)
The only problem with that is the prices of projects are being drug up with all these high sales. Think about Broncos in the past decade. These project trucks are going be $30k and then you have to restore them. At some point you will have to get $100k to break even on these builds. Some of the trucks at these auctions have $20-30k in drivetrains not to mention paint and bodywork. Even if you do everything yourself you still need parts. And your time needs to be worth something. That is a lot of time to spend just to break even when you sell.

I understand what you're saying, but the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't cost that much to redo one of these if you spend your money wisely. Sure, if you're going to ship it out for body and paint it will cost a fortune.
Quality materials for paint is less than $2K if you can do it yourself.
As far as drivetrains, just buy a lower mileage late model donor truck. I bought an 03 Sierra for $500, and can guarantee you it runs and drives as well as a 30K drivetrain. The only thing I can't do is brag that I spent 30K on a drivetrain at the car shows. ;-)

As far as my time, it's still a hobby, so the enjoyment of restoring something is payment enough.

pryorstemmed 02-03-2022 12:30 PM

If anyone wants to sell a nice original or restored to original Blazer Highlander, I am looking for one. I was trying to work with Restore A Muscle Car in Nebraska on one they bought from a member here. They jacked up the price already and then they added $10k to the thing after I made an offer. I won't ever work with them again.

1rippen6 02-03-2022 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pryorstemmed (Post 9029348)
If anyone wants to sell a nice original or restored to original Blazer Highlander, I am looking for one. I was trying to work with Restore A Muscle Car in Nebraska on one they bought from a member here. They jacked up the price already and then they added $10k to the thing after I made an offer. I won't ever work with them again.

Was that the orange one, 2 forum members here owned that one. There is a dark yellow with orange on Facebook for sale in New Jersey but I think he's asking 36,000 and it needs restored, he is also a forum member.

pryorstemmed 02-03-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rippen6 (Post 9029517)
Was that the orange one, 2 forum members here owned that one. There is a dark yellow with orange on Facebook for sale in New Jersey but I think he's asking 36,000 and it needs restored, he is also a forum member.

It was the orange one and is up to $90k now. I talked to the owner of the Dark Yellow one, but would rather get one that is much farther along. My bank would only do so much on a project, but will loan a good amount for one in nice condition. Thanks for the heads up!

Mike C 02-08-2022 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9029274)

If I lived in the States, I would be buying up square body Blazers and pickups and stockpiling. These have already gone up in the past couple years, but they will skyrocket in the next couple.

I have been… Just bought my 10th over 16 years. And it’s HARD to find a decent deal on one now. Prices are closing in on 67-72 or even higher. I have two square Blazers, a 1976 I paid $300 for and a recently acquired 74 for $1500 which was a score.

I learned to drive in my ‘72 Jimmy and my kids ‘72 has been a 3 year father/son project that is irreplaceable. So I’m not a seller of either…. I joke with my wife that I am going to put up a sign “I buy cars, I don’t sell”.

I have no regrets about any purchases but PLENTY of regrets of ones I passed on.

best view 02-09-2022 10:51 PM

Iam the member who first bought that orange hylander and sold it to a guy in rode island who then sold it to a member on here then he sold it to that dealer it went from 30000.00 to that new price quick but it is 100 percent rust free

Tuff Gong 02-09-2022 10:59 PM

Square body prices went up fast.

ddubbs 02-10-2022 01:27 AM

I’ve been collecting these blazers for awhile and am excited to see prices go up. I think if you are happy with the price then sell. They are only going to get harder to replace. I’ve got 18 of these blazers between parts and completes.

Tuff Gong 02-11-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddubbs (Post 9032699)
I’ve been collecting these blazers for awhile and am excited to see prices go up. I think if you are happy with the price then sell. They are only going to get harder to replace. I’ve got 18 of these blazers between parts and completes.

You almost have one for every day of the month

BIG ORANGE 02-13-2022 12:17 AM

That's a good question, I bought a 69 4x4 blazer in 2015 I had been after the owner to sell it to me since 1996, I wanted a 2wd blazer. I had a nice 69 swb truck that I actually sold the body off of, after cutting the frame down and all the rust cut out of the blazer tub I fitted it all up, media blasted and epoxy primed the tub, new motor and 700r4 all new suspension and exhaust. And then went through a divorce. I just cant seem to get back in the mode to start again on it. Every day I walk out into the shop and just look at it setting there with all the parts for it in totes in the bed area. I was going with a custom look, 59 Impala dash rear rollpan, a nice roaster. I don't know when the right time to sell would be, I know I got alot of time and money in it but I just can't seem to get the fire back again to finish her.

tmontg01 02-13-2022 01:46 PM

It's definitely tempting to sell, but I'm going to try and hold off. Sold my 68 SWB last year just before everything started getting a little crazy with the trucks. If I would have held on to that a little longer probably would have made 20 something instead of 15k. I keep telling myself I can always get another SWB, but trying finding another Blazer like mine in it's rust free condition (paid 11k in 2017) at that same price won't happen again. I think if you're in the flipping game, sell it all day, but if it has any type of meaning to you, hold onto it.