The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Looking for Long Tube LS Headers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=830928)

1970 CST Short Wide 02-12-2022 08:40 PM

Looking for Long Tube LS Headers

Who makes Long Tube Headers for an LS that don’t hang to low. Wanting to do a power upgrade and I’m told my shorty headers are no better than stock

Joyridin 02-13-2022 09:17 AM

Re: Looking for Long Tube LS Headers

You might look at these. They have them with 1.75" and 1.875" tubes. I bought a set for my LT engine and the trans pan hangs lower. I wrote them and they gave me the measurements so you can measure from the mounting hole to the bottom. Mine fit in the frame rails.

https://speed-engineering.com/collec...ls2-ls3-ls6-m2

LS short box 02-13-2022 05:49 PM

I did the Speed Engineering 1.75" on 68 LS swap. They fit well and were slightly higher than the bottom of the frame rail.

1970 CST Short Wide 02-13-2022 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 9034359)
I did the Speed Engineering 1.75" on 68 LS swap. They fit well and were slightly higher than the bottom of the frame rail.

Any pictures, when you say slightly is it 1/4 inch 1/32 ???
Thanks

LS short box 02-14-2022 06:18 PM

Sorry no pics.

sfont66 02-20-2022 04:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide (Post 9033962)
Who makes Long Tube Headers for an LS that don’t hang to low. Wanting to do a power upgrade and I’m told my shorty headers are no better than stock

Not sure if you already received the answers you needed…
I also went with the 1.75” long tubes from Speed Engineering.
With my set up, the bottom of the passenger side collector is 1” below the frame, the driver side collector is almost 2”.
The exhaust can still be run tucked up in the frame, and through the trailing arm crossmember, (if you have the holes cut out in the crossmember).
I haven’t fired the engine yet, but the headers fit well and the quality is good for the price.

1970 CST Short Wide 02-20-2022 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfont66 (Post 9037551)
Not sure if you already received the answers you needed…
I also went with the 1.75” long tubes from Speed Engineering.
With my set up, the bottom of the passenger side collector is 1” below the frame, the driver side collector is almost 2”.
The exhaust can still be run tucked up in the frame, and through the trailing arm crossmember, (if you have the holes cut out in the crossmember).
I haven’t fired the engine yet, but the headers fit well and the quality is good for the price.

Thanks for the pictures. Right now I’m running shortys which work and fit nicely. Only reason for going to long tube is I’m going to do some HP upgrades (heads and big cam) and long tubes are suggested and I’m trying to keep it all tucked up like the shortys

the ideaman 02-27-2022 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doug thorley tri y’s on my truck. They tuck up pretty nicely.

stilldreamin6772 03-05-2022 01:56 AM

Speed engineering gets my vote also. Cant beat the price for the quality you get. 2 years so far and no issues.

Richard 03-05-2022 04:50 AM

I have seen shootouts on long vs short. Gains are on many I have seen are maybe 10hp with a loss of torque on lower end and that is higher hp motors. Worth it or not? That is your decision. From what I have seen tube size seems to more of a factor. Even that difference is not significant for a DD IMO.

6600DURAMAX 03-07-2022 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just ordered Schoenfeld Headers this morning for the K5 build - ceramic coated...

Debated on JEGS brand - raw steel - then having them cer-a-koted to Titanium finish but went this route instead ...

waiting on arrival now

6600DURAMAX 03-07-2022 04:01 PM

Why the sideway pictures all the time .... dam it

Ryan Hubbard 03-28-2022 12:56 AM

I put the Schonfeld Headers on my truck and they did not hang below the frame at with my 71 C20. I also had no problem routing my exhaust system all the way to the back above the bottom of the frame rails with an x pipe and 3" pipe all the way back.

6600DURAMAX 03-28-2022 06:58 PM

!!!!!!!! Have issues with fitment with the Schoenfeld Headers .... driver side will NOT fit ....

Working with Schoenfeld on issue currently

This is a K5 with Dirty Dingo mounts for LS3

6600DURAMAX 03-28-2022 07:01 PM

Any idea if the speed engineering will work on 4WD ? There website says NO, but I talked to the rep and he stated it only says that due to front drive shaft clearance issues but with my 8'' lift, I'm not sure that will be an issue.

When I installed the Schoenfeld header on the passenger side it was no where near the driveshaft.

Anyone ....??

toddoky 03-29-2022 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX (Post 9058230)
!!!!!!!! Have issues with fitment with the Schoenfeld Headers .... driver side will NOT fit ....

Working with Schoenfeld on issue currently

This is a K5 with Dirty Dingo mounts for LS3

Where exactly is the driver side header experiencing interference?

6600DURAMAX 03-29-2022 10:57 AM

Second tube from the front sticks out to far and hits frame rail. I'll upload a pic

toddoky 03-30-2022 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX (Post 9058518)
Second tube from the front sticks out to far and hits frame rail. I'll upload a pic

I look forward to seeing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

6600DURAMAX 03-31-2022 06:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here are some pics

6600DURAMAX 03-31-2022 06:52 PM

I have spoken with Schoenfeld and they do not control their powdercoating process ( they have it done out of house) but as you can see this quality is no where even close to acceptable. They are however allowing me to return them .....

toddoky 03-31-2022 08:21 PM

That’s good on them that they are allowing you to return them. I think it is highly likely that they prototyped those headers on a 73-87 K10 and added the 67-72 trucks to the application when they were discovered to fit on a “close enough” basis. I develop Hooker Blackheart swap systems at Holley and hope to get around to covering that generation of K10 trucks in the future.That looks like a nice project you’ve got going on there.

6600DURAMAX 04-01-2022 05:26 PM

Thanks @toddoky - its a work in progress for sure

I would have love to be part of some R&D to help in assisting with this issue. I'm running a 6L80e as well behind the LS3

I ordered some Speed Engineering long tubes this week - hopefully I will have better luck.....

toddoky 04-02-2022 09:03 AM

You have more than likely mounted your engine in a more forward position in order to install your transmission and allow your NP205 to remain in its stock location. That is very advantages overall, but is also going to aggravate your search for a set of headers that will be compatible with your application. All of the headers available today that are specifically listed for an LS swap in a K-10 were designed several years ago when the use of the longer, late-model automatic transmissions was not commonly. They were designed to be used primarily with the engine mounted so that rear block/bellhousing mating plane remained in the stock SB Chevy position (TH350,SM46 and 4L60E installations). The late-model transmissions all require the bellhousing mating plane to be moved forward from that location to be able to install these transmissions in front of a stock mounted NP205 transfer case. When that is done, the tubes of the fore mentioned headers also move forward into the decreasing wedge created by the inward forward pinch of the frame rails. Some of the eBay-sourced headers can help you overcome that issue, just be prepared to deal with/accept the poor flange-to-port transition geometry and spark/boot clearance they are notorious for. Your final judgement of installation success will be determined by the amount of front driveshaft clearance the right side header provides you with, which will usually leave you less than impressed.

6600DURAMAX 04-04-2022 09:22 AM

The SpeedEngineering headers show up on Tuesday so the frustration will most likely begin then ......... I also order full 3'' stainless exhaust with an "x" pipe so things should get interesting quick considering the short length of I'm working with. Decided to go with BORLA ATAK mufflers as well....