The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Dirt every day (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=834288)

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-09-2022 10:06 AM

Dirt every day

I was watching a episode where they had leafs in the front, and a 3 link on the rear of a Brand F WW2 jeep.

My question is why? Would the 3 link or even a 4 link be better in the front?

special-K 05-10-2022 07:19 AM

Re: Dirt every day

That's how they built it or was it built that way originally? Maybe they aren't done yet, if it's a custom build. I'd expect doing the front would be far more complicated than rear.

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-10-2022 01:48 PM

It was built that way. Or atleast they ordered a bunch of parts to keep it that way.

layinrocker65 05-10-2022 09:43 PM

Probably because its just easier that way with there filming times and materials at hand. Linking the rear with front leafs isnt uncommon in toyotas and jeeps

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-11-2022 09:46 PM

Seems backwards to me. I would love to hear some reasoning

Willowrun 05-11-2022 10:34 PM

People have been doing this for years to help with traction and articulation when 4 wheeling extreme trails. Leaf springs have a tendency to wrap and cause wheel hop if they are losing traction in slow speed rock crawling. 3 or 4 link won’t do that. They also flex/articulate better than leaf springs which helps win the RTI ramp competition. :metal:
4 links can be tuned to make the rear of the vehicle lift (anti-squat) or squat under power which helps with traction depending on what type of wheeling/racing you’re doing.

special-K 05-13-2022 07:12 AM

I think he's asking why change an all leaf vehicle to 4-link only in the rear? I see his point in asking. There must be more to why they made this choice. I would think, from what I have seen in the 4wd world, would be if only doing one axles why not the front? Any deviation from the traditional four corner leaf springs has always been to the front. Ford radius arms, TTB, GM IFS (as well as most others), etc. I'm used to seeing any improvement to articulation begin with the front end... for whatever reason.

52napco 05-14-2022 09:09 PM

The first rock crawler that actually won the first event in Farmington NM was the infamous
PINKIE...built by my buddy Shannon Campbell..it was leaf spring frt and 4 link rear and it worked great..
The shorter the driveshaft, be it front or rear creates more torque and causes
Severe axle wrap..and the rear is always shorter in Jeep applications...I had a midshaft bearing on a CJ8 front to clear the transmission pan and it caused the
Front axle to wrap like hell... lesson learned I guess.
Any way leaf springs can flex great especially when using a negative arch in front.