The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I finally got a truck! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835369)

MARKDTN 06-13-2022 09:05 AM

I finally got a truck!

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally own a 67-72. It’s been a long time coming. I have had an ’83 K20 for just over 30 years but have wanted a 69-70 especially since I was in high school in the ‘80s. I found this ’71 LWB that was wrecked in ’93 and has been sitting since. It is pretty plain with a 307/TH350 and gauges. No power steering or brakes. It is missing the steering box which I will find and an exhaust manifold which I have. It needs floor, both rockers, and the left cab corner. The cab is decent above the bottom so I think it’s fixable. Need a right front fender and a patch for the left. Needs a grille, and I may find a ’69-70 grille since that is what I really want. Right door that is on it is gone in the bottom inside but there is another door with it that can be fixed. Bed is pretty rough, lots of rust in the front and it has had a plate welded in so I’m sure there are other issues. Tailgate is rusty, but surprisingly works pretty well. My plans are to maybe get it running, but I want to put this on a late Suburban frame so I don’t want to do a lot to the chassis and just sell it rolling. As far as I can tell the frame is pretty nice, no big rust or pitting. It is a coil spring truck. I am in it pretty decent money wise, so trying to figure out if this is the one to fix or if I should flip it/part it and find something nicer. (not an offer to sell, just asking if I should dig in or keep looking) Thanks!

yuccales 06-13-2022 09:15 AM

Re: I finally got a truck!

She's had a tough life that's for sure.

CC69Rat 06-13-2022 09:48 AM

What part of Chatt are you from? I am in Cleveland. Congrats on your truck. Happy to help if there's anything you need.

MARKDTN 06-13-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 9090349)
What part of Chatt are you from? I am in Cleveland. Congrats on your truck. Happy to help if there's anything you need.

I'm in Ooltewah, so your side of town.

mm1077 06-13-2022 10:22 AM

I’m also in Ooltewah if you need anything : )
-Mike
Posted via Mobile Device

67C10Step 06-13-2022 10:50 AM

Another one on the road to recovery! Perfect.

Palf70Step 06-13-2022 10:53 AM

:agree:

Caddylackn 06-13-2022 11:33 AM

If you want a show truck or a 10 footer, I would start with something better.
If you want a running driving, usable truck, you can fix this one up as you drive it.
I would do the cab repairs first and get it running and driving. You may pick up replacement panels as time goes by, on FB or craigslist.

The driver's side looks fixable from what I can see. The passenger side, well, they make replacement panels....

MARKDTN 06-13-2022 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddylackn (Post 9090399)
If you want a show truck or a 10 footer, I would start with something better.
If you want a running driving, usable truck, you can fix this one up as you drive it.
I would do the cab repairs first and get it running and driving. You may pick up replacement panels as time goes by, on FB or craigslist.

The driver's side looks fixable from what I can see. The passenger side, well, they make replacement panels....

I want a driver. And I don't mind ugly. The bed is bad. It would take a right side, floor, and front to fix. I think I can find a nicer one used-especially a long bed-and then get a new shell for the tailgate.

I think I will take the cab off and fix the floor and rockers, that way I have plenty of room to work.

LNP 06-13-2022 01:15 PM

Congrats on the new truck.

garyd1961 06-14-2022 02:13 AM

I tell people mine ain't the prettiest one on the road but at least I have one. I've had mine about 16 years now and was actually thinking about junking it at one time and starting over. After looking around at what was available and the prices I decided to keep my old truck and fix it up. I spent most of my time and money getting it in top working order, motor trans, brakes, tires and wheels,ect. I cleaned the body up best I could without doing a full restoration. I figure as long as I don't let it rust I can always redo the body some day.
Like I was saying at least you have one, fix what doesn't work, knock out the dents, replace the rockers and drive it like a kid on his dad's old farm truck.

CC69Rat 06-14-2022 07:56 AM

Naa man. That truck deserves to be saved. Just take it one part at a time and before you know it you'll have the truck you want. It's already 5 lug, you have your engine / Trans, you're in good shape. Just commit and start tearing it down.

MARKDTN 06-14-2022 08:13 AM

I went and had a close look last night. Here is what big pieces I need: Steering box (think I have one coming), RH fender, LH lower rear fender patch, RH inner fender, floor, rockers, LH cab corner, bed (there is one on Marketplace that is way better than this one), tailgate shell, front bumper, grille. The cab above the floor is nice. I think the hood and drivers door can be knocked out and used. It will need a windshield, but does not leak now so that can wait. I think I am going to start collecting parts over the Summer and tear it down in the Fall. The engine should run, it has oil and is not locked up.