The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2002 Tahoe starts and then dies (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=842189)

86k10 02-14-2023 12:02 AM

2002 Tahoe starts and then dies

I'm working on an 02 for a friend of mine and he said after replacing the battery it started doing this. The only code I find is a 1626. I put a new GM ignition switch in it and nothing changed. The security light also stays on even when the key is removed. Also the automatic head lamps dont come on when you turn the key on but you can turn them on manually. The dome lights dont work and neither does the remote. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have read a lot and watched a lot of things but nothing covers what issues I am having.

EVRLET 02-14-2023 02:30 AM

Re: 2002 Tahoe starts and then dies

You need to do a passlock reset. Plenty of info and videos out there on the procedure.

AussieinNC 02-20-2023 06:30 PM

To reset Your 2002 Chevy Silverado security system put the key in the ignition, turn the key to the on position, and leave it on until the security light goes out.

Usually abut 15 mins.

Once this happens crank the truck without turning the key backward, just turn to start.
This will reprogRam the transponder from the ignition switch.

To prevent someone from using a fake or non-registered key, GM installed an anti-theft system called Passlock.
When the wrong key or other tool is used to crank the ignition, the Passlock system disables the truck's fuel system.

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

86k10 03-03-2023 09:48 PM

That procedure doesn't work, I haven't done anything with it for a while and am still looking for an answer.

Just call me Sean 03-04-2023 04:58 AM

The answer is that the security system is malfunctioning. I had to defeat it on mine.

truckdude239 04-02-2023 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieinNC (Post 9180361)
To reset Your 2002 Chevy Silverado security system put the key in the ignition, turn the key to the on position, and leave it on until the security light goes out.

Usually abut 15 mins.

Once this happens crank the truck without turning the key backward, just turn to start.
This will reprogRam the transponder from the ignition switch.

To prevent someone from using a fake or non-registered key, GM installed an anti-theft system called Passlock.
When the wrong key or other tool is used to crank the ignition, the Passlock system disables the truck's fuel system.

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

so this works on some but most time its a 30 mins relearn so connect a charger to the battery

,1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.
2. Turn key to the “ON ” position without starting the engine. The security light should
turn on and stay on.
3. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
4. Turn key to the “OFF ” position for 5 seconds.
5. Turn key to the “ON ” position without starting the engine. Security light should turn
on and stay on.
6. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
7. Turn key to the “OFF ” position for 5 seconds.
8. Turn key to the “ON ” position without starting the engine The security light should
turn on and stay on.
9. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
10. Turn key to the “OFF ” position. The key transponder information will be learned on
the next start cycle.
11. Start the vehicle. If the vehicle starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete.
12. If additional keys need to be relearned, turn the key to the “OFF ” position.
13. Insert the next key to be learned. Turn the key to the “ON ” position within 10
seconds of removing the previously used key.
14. Wait for security light to turn off. It should happen fairly quickly. You may not notice
the lamp as the transponder value will be learned immediately.
15. Repeat steps 12 through 14 for any additional keys