The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interior paint (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=842677)

stubs 03-03-2023 07:49 PM

Interior paint

What's everybody using for interior paint dash etc. I'm going to change my interior paint to black and am wondering if I should use single stage or dual stage. I'm leaning towards single as I think it would be easier and hold up well.

72c20customcamper 03-03-2023 08:21 PM

Re: Interior paint

I used single stage throughout the whole truck

truckster 03-03-2023 10:04 PM

I used the same single stage that I used on the exterior.

68 C10 Driver 03-04-2023 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used single stage paint. To me 2 stage paint (base/clear) just looks too shiney. I am after that as close to original finish as possible.

Warrens69GMC 03-04-2023 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver (Post 9183690)
I used single stage paint. To me 2 stage paint (base/clear) just looks too shiney. I am after that as close to original finish as possible.

That looks fantastic!!

ghackett1 03-05-2023 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver (Post 9183690)

You did a beautiful job on that dash. I use single stage on the interior for what it’s worth. :metal:

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-05-2023 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stubs (Post 9183503)
What's everybody using for interior paint dash etc. I'm going to change my interior paint to black and am wondering if I should use single stage or dual stage. I'm leaning towards single as I think it would be easier and hold up well.

My interior is single stage, the exterior has a clear coat, though not sure about the interior bed at the moment, I think it's single.

ghackett1 03-05-2023 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9183903)
My interior is single stage, the exterior has a clear coat, though not sure about the interior bed at the moment, I think it's single.

Because painting the truck inside bed is such a PITA I give it only one coat of clear the rest of the vehicle gets a full 3-4 coats. From the looks of your truck I don’ think you’ll be abusing the bed so with one coat it gives it shine and some protection.
Love that color. Very nice.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-05-2023 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghackett1 (Post 9183919)
Because painting the truck inside bed is such a PITA I give it only one coat of clear the rest of the vehicle gets a full 3-4 coats. From the looks of your truck I don’ think you’ll be abusing the bed so with one coat it gives it shine and some protection.
Love that color. Very nice.

Thank you. The body/paint guy says he'll never do another bed. He says he sprayed three coats of ochre & white, not sure if that included the interior and interior bed though. I'll have to ask about how much clear. I was just thinking how I have to wash the bed barefoot. You're right, it wont be hauling anything short perhaps the tire carrier at some point, and probably not. The bed isn't drilled for it, my original bed was.

Steeveedee 03-05-2023 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9184101)
Thank you. The body/paint guy says he'll never do another bed. He says he sprayed three coats of ochre & white, not sure if that included the interior and interior bed though. I'll have to ask about how much clear. I was just thinking how I have to wash the bed barefoot. You're right, it wont be hauling anything short perhaps the tire carrier at some point, and probably not. The bed isn't drilled for it, my original bed was.

One of my younger brothers did a frame-off of a '62 LB 1/2T. He put stainless strips in the bed with varnished boards. Also, a blown 383 stroker, etc. His friends all said that all he was going to haul in that truck was ass. Seems like you're in the same boat. ;)

Richard 03-06-2023 02:27 AM

Used the same PPG Deltron Concept single stage on the interior as the exterior on my 72 build. I did have a PPG Deltron matte clear shot on the dash and defrost vents over the single stage blue to kill the glare. Factory used a matte on the dash. The clear on my 94 repaint started failing after less than 3 years, finish is turning flat on top surfaces and starting to lift and peel on other. Almost $8k for paint job, was basically a scuff and shoot. They said they will fix the peeling, but wasted time and waiting for rest to fail in near future. Hate the two stage. My 72 paint was twice what the 94 cost, but the clear will not fail because it not present.

LockDoc 03-06-2023 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-
I used single stage on the interior of my '70 short bed project.

LockDoc

stubs 03-07-2023 12:47 AM

Thanks for all the info I figured single stage on the interior but wanted to make sure. Now I'm going have to figure out best way to remove the paint.

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-07-2023 03:09 PM

I used base/clear on the inside of my cab, also base clear inside the bed. Yeah the bed is just to look pretty now, nothing going back there. I did paint the bed in pieces and then reassembled it after cutting and buffing.

chewychevy67 03-07-2023 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9184639)
I used base/clear on the inside of my cab, also base clear inside the bed. Yeah the bed is just to look pretty now, nothing going back there. I did paint the bed in pieces and then reassembled it after cutting and buffing.

So how Shiney is the interior when you are driving? I was thinking of doing base clear as well in my interior because it's red and it will fade fast but I too like the medium sheen thar single stage gives.

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-07-2023 03:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 9184643)
So how Shiney is the interior when you are driving? I was thinking of doing base clear as well in my interior because it's red and it will fade fast but I too like the medium sheen thar single stage gives.

Not bad at all, the chrome defrost vents cause more glare then anything in the cab.

72c20customcamper 03-07-2023 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 9184643)

Actually the windshield wiper arms and wiper glare more than the dash or other parts inside

rockyrivermark 03-08-2023 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another vote for single stage. Happy with my results

67swb72klb 03-08-2023 09:48 PM

If its a solid color SS is great and so much easier and cheaper the new paints hold up good to the sun for as much as these things are out in the wild
My 67 is going on 23 years and still looks good and its just DuPont Centeri