The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   POR 15 / Chassis Saver, Spray vs Brush? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=842775)

D-n-Tyke 03-07-2023 02:35 PM

POR 15 / Chassis Saver, Spray vs Brush?

For those of you that have used POR15 or Chassis Saver is the finish any better when sprayed on vs when it is brushed on? I have heard that it layes pretty flat and the brush lines flow out of the product when using a brush. I am not looking for concourse finish but don't want it to look like I paintes the frame with a house paint brush.

Love to hear your tips and tricks. .

Accelo 03-07-2023 02:39 PM

Re: POR 15 / Chassis Saver, Spray vs Brush?

Brush it.
It lays out really nice.
I can't imagine cleaning a gun with this stuff in it.

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-07-2023 02:45 PM

I used a brush on my frame. I agree with Accelo, the stuff would pretty much ruin a paint gun. Just wear good gloves and clothes you dont mind ruining because the stuff is there for good. Still have spots on my floor where it dripped from another project a decade ago and its there for good. Might be a good idea to lay plastic down on the floor as well before doing it as well.

HO455 03-07-2023 04:17 PM

If your going to paint the frame with the body on it I definitely recommend wearing a full Tyvex suit and using a face shield. You will also need some positive ventilation even if you're outside (unless it's a breezy day.).

Use medium quality brushes as the cheap ones will leave a trail of bristles.

The first page of my repair thread shows what I did to my Burban. You may find it helpful.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

stubs 03-07-2023 04:38 PM

I sprayed mine on done a couple of frames this way and then went back and touched up with a brush. To clean it I used laquer thinner right after I was done scrub soaked it. I also used a cheap harbor freight gun so if it didnt cleanup up I wasnt out much. It cleaned up fine.

NJ68stepside 03-07-2023 05:17 PM

I brushed it on and sprayed it. Granted I’m no pro. But wish I used something else or powder coated it. Or spent more time. It has chipped in places and not too great.

But it’s a frame. Ain’t nobody going to see it.

Impact02 03-07-2023 07:14 PM

I do a lot of painting and I have brushed it on and sprayed it. Spraying gets it in some areas easier. Both do a good job. If it is rusty use their metal ready for prep. And if you spray use their solvent to thin it and to clean the gun up after it is not bad to clean. When I have brushed I use cheap brushes may get a few stray hairs but no brush marks.

rockyrivermark 03-07-2023 08:41 PM

Here’s a few tips on Por 15

1. Personally I’ve always brushed it on. As mentioned it lays down great
2. It’s fairly thin and drips a lot so put plastic or something on the floor
3. Wear nitrile gloves and long sleeve old shirt. If it’s gets on your skin you’ll be Living with it for a week or more
4. Clean up is easy with mineral spirits (paint thinner)
5. Chassis coat Por 15 breaks down with UV. No prob on the underside of a truck but keep in mind for other uses. Needs top coated if exposed to UV
6. Knock heavy rust scale off and hit with wire hand brush for prep. You actually won’t to apply this to some rust so no need to clean to bare metal.
7. This stuff works great. I’ve had it on my C10 from for 6 years now and holding up great.

best view 03-07-2023 09:34 PM

Brush have beer brush

PowerdbyChevy79 03-07-2023 11:58 PM

Brushing it comes out nice.. use quality brushes and dont lay it on too thick.. make sure you topcoat it...

PowerdbyChevy79 03-08-2023 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a frame I did a couple years ago with POR 15.. I topcoated it with John Deere Blitz Black

D-n-Tyke 03-08-2023 12:11 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Based on them I will use a brush on the frame and then maybe spray the arms links etc top coating everything with VHT chassis and roll bar paint.