The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Question re: dealer license plate frames (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=843739)

DeadheadNM 04-13-2023 03:19 PM

Question re: dealer license plate frames

Back in the day, were dealer license plate frames typically installed up front, in back, or at both locations? Mostly interested in what if any convention dealers has in CA but curious about any and all examples.

Casper42 04-13-2023 11:00 PM

Re: Question re: dealer license plate frames

dating back to 1982 for me as a kid, I worked at a Chevy dealer in the outskirts of Seattle. Dealers ALWAYS used two license plate frames. this was advertising for them. I imagine the same for nearly all for many years before my known memory.

yuccales 04-14-2023 07:18 AM

Every PDI that I did got front and back frames. Good quality metal ones.

Keith Seymore 04-14-2023 07:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hadn't really thought about it - but - put me down for front and rear, too.

K

jeffahart 04-14-2023 10:56 AM

Oh, both for sure, and then some. The dealers were/are litteraly shameless. They'd paint their signage on the car door if they thought they could get away with it.

Ever see the dealer engraved rear bumpers? That pretty much says it all! It makes me think of a dealer in a yellow plaid suit with white patent leather shoes yucking it up... "Har har har... let's see em remove my name off that.. .har har har". The dealers are shameless! :lol:

j

72SB 04-14-2023 12:07 PM

Front & Back and some dealers even installed metal emblems with their name on the trunk lid or tail gate.

michael bustamante 04-14-2023 12:42 PM

well honestly i guess it just depended on the state..
if you remember, NM only requires one plate but like texas, you need two plates.. so maybe it was like that butttttt i remember galles chevy ouuting their vanity plate and plate frame on the fronts
speaking of...... you didnt drag any ed black plates or frames up there by chance did you? you dont need those up there ;)

MJN 04-14-2023 02:30 PM

Lots of nice examples listed for sale;
https://www.oldsobsolete.com/product...arts-for-sale/

DeadheadNM 04-14-2023 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good deal guys thanks for the follow up. I had a pair reproduced from a photo until I can find original examples.

Michael, did you see that NM want to add a front plate now? Helps with the surveillance cameras apparently. But you'll be safer :)

yuccales 04-14-2023 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72SB (Post 9196373)
Front & Back and some dealers even installed metal emblems with their name on the trunk lid or tail gate.

Yes they did. :(

57taskforce 04-14-2023 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9196456)
Good deal guys thanks for the follow up. I had a pair reproduced from a photo until I can find original examples.

Michael, did you see that NM want to add a front plate now? Helps with the surveillance cameras apparently. But you'll be safer :)

I saw that too. I’d love to comment but the thread will get locked.

cericd 04-15-2023 06:25 PM

Quote:

Looking good. Where did you have the reproductions made? Is the design stamped or cutout billet, or are they flat and painted/stickers?

LockDoc 04-15-2023 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9196130)
Back in the day, were dealer license plate frames typically installed up front, in back, or at both locations? Mostly interested in what if any convention dealers has in CA but curious about any and all examples.

De Anza Chevrolet in Riverside, CA used them front and back.

A friend of mine took a pair of these off of a totaled car and gave them to me when he worked at DE ANZA Chevrolet back in 1964. They have been on the same car ever since, my 1936 Ford Coupe.

LockDoc

mrtoni 04-16-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 9196473)
Yes they did. :(

I have a few of those Herb Hallman frames

old51sedan 04-16-2023 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a neat one on my 51, never seen another quite like it.

DeadheadNM 04-16-2023 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cericd (Post 9196701)
Looking good. Where did you have the reproductions made? Is the design stamped or cutout billet, or are they flat and painted/stickers?

Thanks. A friend gave me the contact info for a guy who makes these. He’s got a presence on Facebook but no website. It’s a flat custom decal basically. Cast examples can be created but there’s a minimum order size of 500 pieces.

Here’s what the original would look like:

DeadheadNM 04-16-2023 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9196717)
De Anza Chevrolet in Riverside, CA used them front and back.

A friend of mine took a pair of these off of a totaled car and gave them to me when he worked at DE ANZA Chevrolet back in 1964. They have been on the same car ever since, my 1936 Ford Coupe.

LockDoc

Leon that looks nice.

DA71Grande 04-16-2023 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9196840)
Thanks. A friend gave me the contact info for a guy who makes these. He’s got a presence on Facebook but no website. It’s a flat custom decal basically. Cast examples can be created but there’s a minimum order size of 500 pieces.

Here’s what the original would look like:

https://www.facebook.com/oldschoolplateframes

yuccales 04-16-2023 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtoni (Post 9196809)
I have a few of those Herb Hallman frames

I'd give you this one. But I don't want the 3 holes in the tailgate. ;)

DeadheadNM 04-16-2023 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA71Grande (Post 9196848)

Yep. That’s him.

GOPAPA 04-17-2023 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9196130)

This is the Dealer license plate frame I found on EBay recentley that was like the ones I got on my brand new 1965 Chevy Truck I bought from this dealer, I had both front and back and took them off as at the time I did not want to advertize for this dealer.. young and all then ,,now wouldnt do it for the reason I had back then..

Attachment 2267399

LONGHAIR 04-23-2023 10:16 AM

Quote:

That's funny, because Ohio just got rid of the front plate 3 years ago. I had been hoping for it for decades. Back in the 80s, I ran my CJ-5 for several years without one and only got called out on it once.
When I bought the Camaro new in '14, I instructed the salesman to not let the prep guys install one on it. The bracket comes in the trunk, out of respect for the states that don't require this stupidity.....but they did it anyway.
The '20 Colorado which was purchased in December of '19, has never had a front plate, but the bracket it there nonetheless. The law didn't actually take effect until July, but I "risked it" for 7 months.
The dumb thing is that you can still "opt" to have two plates when you renew?
I don't really know why they would do that? They also give you the option of multiple years at once. I think up to 5? though I only did 2 last time.

GSP7 04-23-2023 11:14 AM

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TmMAA...E7L/s-l300.jpg

mr.mud1 04-24-2023 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Leo Hoffman Chevrolet plate frame on my truck.