The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Issues w/ lugnut4x4 disc conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=844572)

vardenafil 05-16-2023 01:08 PM

Issues w/ lugnut4x4 disc conversion

I got the lugnut4x4 drum to disc conversion kit for my k20. The drivers side went on easy and I had no problems. The passenger's side of the truck was a different story. I had fitment issues. The brake pads would not fit over the calipers. I had to fully depress the caliper piston and take off the brake pads shims to get the caliper with the pads to fit. However it is way too tight and the wheel drags when I drive it. I tried to reach out to the company for advice but was told I need to figure out what is wrong and then reach out to them when I know what I need. Anybody have any ideas on what to check for? I try to post some pictures this weekend of the set up.

HotWheelsFan 05-16-2023 07:59 PM

Re: Issues w/ lugnut4x4 disc conversion

Take some measurements... Compare thickness of both rotors and fully compressed caliper piston distance of brake pad opening or space. I have seen differences in sizes...

A quick search for info: https://lugnut4x4.com/brake-calipers...-jb7-calipers/

Not sure if you might have two different or mismatched calipers or not but the rotor should spin freely by hand with some, but not much, drag.

Bob

Dieselwrencher 05-17-2023 08:19 AM

Also measure the brake pads and make sure for what ever reason the pads aren't thicker than the other side. Also check that the piston is flush with the caliper housing when fully depressed. There could be trash or bad machining not allowing it to go inside fully.

vardenafil 05-21-2023 06:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok so i tore everything down and took measurements. both sides everything measures exactly the same. I took about 10 different measurements on both sides. like distance from bracket to rotor, brake pad thickness, caliper openings, etc... so I think both sides were set up correctly. the only thing i can think of is either:

1. the passenger side caliper wore grooves on the top of both brake pads. see picture. so i dont think the pads aligned properly. the drivers side caliper (the good side) I can press the cylinder in and it stays the passenger side I press the cylinder in and the cylinder tries to pop out. If I play with it enough I can get it to stay.

2. the caliper doesnt line up 100% centered over the rotor. there is slightly more space on the cylinder side of the caliper. like 3/16th more on the caliper side. see pictures.

do you think a washer to center the caliper would help or do you think its a bum caliper?

72c20customcamper 05-21-2023 06:54 PM

If the piston tries to come back out there is pressure in the system . I would check the rubber line for damage. Easy check open the bleeder and push the piston in close the bleeder if it stays in then the rubber line may have a restriction.

I’ve pumped the brake a few times and then crack open the bleeder if fluid shots out it’s the hose

vardenafil 05-21-2023 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9205980)
If the piston tries to come back out there is pressure in the system . I would check the rubber line for damage. Easy check open the bleeder and push the piston in close the bleeder if it stays in then the rubber line may have a restriction.

I’ve pumped the brake a few times and then crack open the bleeder if fluid shots out it’s the hose

there is no fluid in the system yet. I havent got that far with the install since the parts wont dry fit. Im afraid I wont be able to return the caliper if I "use" it by adding fluid it. If i use a c-clamp to push the cylinder into the caliper soon as i remove the clamp the piston slowly migrates out over like a minute. it looks like it will pop off but it hasnt yet.

72c20customcamper 05-21-2023 08:14 PM

Wondering if the square inner seal is not seated properly. Theres no spring inside so there is something pushing it out and the only other part is the inner seal