The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need Some Info with this Drop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=845010)

KyleSeal 06-05-2023 10:34 AM

Need Some Info with this Drop

So currently on my 67 I am running a 5.5 front and 7 rear drop. This is achieved with 5 inch drop springs and 2 inch blocks in the rear, 3 inch springs and 2.5 inch CPP disc brake spindles in the front. I am using the CPP tubular control arms in the front as well, stock crossmember.

How have yall gotten around the inner fender issue? I have stock replacement inner fenders, but man its close, which I knew would be close but not this close. I assume I will need to section the inner fenders and move them up. I also assume I would need to move the battery, is that true?

Can I get some pictures of how everyone is going about doing this? Id rather not buy a set of aftermarkets since Ive already got some factory style ones.

SCOTI 06-06-2023 08:48 AM

Re: Need Some Info with this Drop

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSeal (Post 9209732)
So currently on my 67 I am running a 5.5 front and 7 rear drop. This is achieved with 5 inch drop springs and 2 inch blocks in the rear, 3 inch springs and 2.5 inch CPP disc brake spindles in the front. I am using the CPP tubular control arms in the front as well, stock crossmember.

How have yall gotten around the inner fender issue? I have stock replacement inner fenders, but man its close, which I knew would be close but not this close. I assume I will need to section the inner fenders and move them up. I also assume I would need to move the battery, is that true?

Can I get some pictures of how everyone is going about doing this? Id rather not buy a set of aftermarkets since Ive already got some factory style ones.

Interference will/can be dependent on the front tire OD. What size wheel/tire combo are you running?

Common solutions are no fender wells, sectioned & raised stock stuff, or aftermarket fabricated pieces.

KyleSeal 06-06-2023 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9210094)
Interference will/can be dependent on the front tire OD. What size wheel/tire combo are you running?

Common solutions are no fender wells, sectioned & raised stock stuff, or aftermarket fabricated pieces.

Currently there are 235/75/15s, stock 4 nub wheels. These tires are some off a truck that came into my work and needed new tires (rubbed terribly) so I threw them on my truck as rollers until the truck is on the road again. So Im not stuck to this size, although it is a nice looking size.

SCOTI 06-06-2023 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleSeal (Post 9210175)
Currently there are 235/75/15s, stock 4 nub wheels. These tires are some off a truck that came into my work and needed new tires (rubbed terribly) so I threw them on my truck as rollers until the truck is on the road again. So Im not stuck to this size, although it is a nice looking size.

Those 28.8" front tires are part of the issue on 'what fits'. No taller than 28" up front helps.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the most common front tire height ranges from 27-28" max. 27" would likely clear stock wells & anything taller is where mods or the aftermarket stuff comes into play. A 215/75 or 225/70 15" tire puts you around 27.4-27.5" front tire height.

Some guys run short (<27" up front) tires & have no clearance issues, but the combo doesn't look right to me as I like the wheel opening filled vs a large gap/space.

PowerdbyChevy79 06-10-2023 01:19 PM

With that drop you should stay 27" and under.. a 255/60 is around 27.. and it minimizes wheel gap.. just depends on the wheel type and look that your going for..