The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   power steering head seal replacement now has slack. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849192)

Dustytrix 12-07-2023 07:44 PM

power steering head seal replacement now has slack.

My power steering box was leaking , so I decided to replace all the seals. Got air out once I put it back on the truck. Everything seamed to be working great. I backed it back into shop and left it for a month. Now it has 1/4 turn of slack, I checked fluid, its full. Turned the set screw 1/4 turn on steering box , no change. All I did was replace seals, it didn't have slack before I replaced seals. Any ideas what I did wrong?

franken 12-08-2023 02:27 AM

Re: power steering head seal replacement now has slack.

Sorry, I don't know what a "power steering head seal" is (nor does the internet) but I'd ask what exactly was taken apart to replace it?

Dustytrix 12-08-2023 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 9264779)
Sorry, I don't know what a "power steering head seal" is (nor does the internet) but I'd ask what exactly was taken apart to replace it?

Power steering head / box, I replaced all the seals.

v30crewcab 12-13-2023 09:08 AM

did you unscrew the input seal area at all? thats what sets the internal backlash on the piston assembly. the top nut only sets the lash between the pinion and piston teeth.
theres a large metal nut on the outside of the input shaft area, you can loosen it, and turn the internal part tight and back off 1/4" and lock it back in place and that will take up the slack.

Dustytrix 12-13-2023 08:33 PM

Thanks V30, yes I did unscrew input nut, Thats where it was leaking. I called myself counting the threads as I disassembled, I will take your advice and try to tighten it up some. It seems like that will do what I need.

Dustytrix 12-18-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v30crewcab (Post 9266243)
did you unscrew the input seal area at all? thats what sets the internal backlash on the piston assembly. the top nut only sets the lash between the pinion and piston teeth.
theres a large metal nut on the outside of the input shaft area, you can loosen it, and turn the internal part tight and back off 1/4" and lock it back in place and that will take up the slack.

Thanks for the info V30, I followed your instructions and it worked great. No more slack, exactly what I wanted !

v30crewcab 12-19-2023 04:27 PM

nice!