The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for NOS ignition switch and wire connector (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849436)

paul blair 12-21-2023 09:36 AM

Looking for NOS ignition switch and wire connector

1 Attachment(s)
I have been looking for NOS ignition switch and connector, found many but none said NOS or OEM. I found plenty cheep ones probably made in china. Any one here know where to buy the best quality available? Pic of what I am working on. I wonder if this is the off idle lag that happened some times? Thanks for any information! 1970 K/10

HO455 12-21-2023 02:09 PM

Re: Looking for NOS ignition switch and wire connector

I can't remember if it was M&H or AAC wiring but, one of them sells connectors separately. I've seen both of their factory style replacement harnesses and they don't use the flexible Chinese ones.

Here is a thread I started on ignition switch failures. Currently I am of the opinion that a cleaned and inspected original or at least a replacement manufactured in the 70's is the best option. If no other option then reforming the contact shape on a new one may help curtail early failures.

I'm still using the Echlind replacement at present. But I should pull it out and do a inspection.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=818861

Rust_never_sleeps 12-21-2023 02:24 PM

not to derail the convo, but how does the switch cause off-idle lag?

HO455 12-21-2023 02:37 PM

I'm not sure it could but I've learned over the decades that I should never state something as an absolute. Oh I just did it again. :lol:

I will say there are a lot of other causes of an off idle stumble that I would look at first before I suspected a bad ignition switch.

Rust_never_sleeps 12-21-2023 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9268627)
I'm not sure it could but I've learned over the decades that I should never state something as an absolute. Oh I just did it again. :lol:

Always true....except when it isn't ;-)

paul blair 12-21-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps (Post 9268624)
not to derail the convo, but how does the switch cause off-idle lag?

I was thinking loss or low voltage going to ignition circuit, but probably not. Will see if it goes away with a good switch.............

paul blair 12-21-2023 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9268627)

I will say there are a lot of other causes of an off idle stumble that I would look at first before I suspected a bad ignition switch.

Engine ran fine before the switch connector burnt, just trying to find a NOS, OEM or good quality replacement......Thank You for the M+H and ACC information, I will check them out.

1970cstblazer 12-22-2023 12:04 AM

Look on EBAY for both.

MikeB 12-22-2023 02:57 PM

I've used at least four switches that came with wiring harness kits. I don't know where they were made, but I've never had a problem with any of them. In fact, the switches in some of the American Autowire kits can handle more current than OEM, for example their 55-57 Chevy kit. Just finished up installing an AAW harness on my 69, and the included switch seemed just fine to me. Very stout feeling when switched through various positions.

Just looked for one in the AC Delco catalog, but they don't show it. Strange because that switch was probably used in most GM cars and trucks back then.

From what I see that's available, I would probably go with Standard Motor Products US84 (not the cheaper US84T).
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=4700&jsn=1240

paul blair 12-22-2023 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 9268924)
I've used at least four switches that came with wiring harness kits. I don't know where they were made, but I've never had a problem with any of them. In fact, the switches in some of the American Autowire kits can handle more current than OEM, for example their 55-57 Chevy kit. Just finished up installing an AAW harness on my 69, and the included switch seemed just fine to me. Very stout feeling when switched through various positions.

Just looked for one in the AC Delco catalog, but they don't show it. Strange because that switch was probably used in most GM cars and trucks back then.

From what I see that's available, I would probably go with Standard Motor Products US84 (not the cheaper US84T).
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=4700&jsn=1240

Thank You MikeB for this information and your experience with AAW. I will check them out. Happy Trails

halfstep 12-22-2023 08:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This may be what you are looking for?
Original GM, made in USA ignition switch.
Can take another pic if necessary.
I have a few - stashed for years.
Message me if you want one.
If that's illegal, I'll have to buy in to post in for sale area.
LMK

MikeB 12-23-2023 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfstep (Post 9269011)

That's pretty cool!

paul blair 12-23-2023 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfstep (Post 9269011)
Can take another pic if necessary.
I have a few - stashed for years.
Message me if you want one.
If that's illegal, I'll have to buy in to post in for sale area.
LMK

Thanks for this information, I will PM you.

notsolo 12-23-2023 06:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And and old OEM connector probably 52 yrs old seams to be near perfect.