The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Turn Signal Quandries (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849755)

jaywashburn 01-07-2024 11:32 AM

Turn Signal Quandries

Fellow members, seeking advise about how to resolve a current electrical that has me a bit flustered. Recently became owner of a '75 K10. For the most part things are pretty sorted out on the vehicle (runs, drives). All of the electrical components operate as they should. I went through & cleaned/replaced all ground straps, fuses, & bulbs on truck.
The one thing I noticed was the hazzard switch knob on steering column was broken off so I ordered a new turn signal switch & knob from a local auto parts store.
Everything on the new switch looked identical to old one except the harmonica plug (it wouldn't mesh with original female counterpart). So, I de-pinned new plug & re-pinned to original plug. After that everything went back together fine.
Upon start up I notice that when I go to use the turn signals (left or right) my hazzard lights come on @ all 4 corners (?).
I checked on the LMC site & they show there are 3 different turn signal switches made for the square bodies (73-76, 77-83, & 84-87). My question is could I have the wrong TS for my era truck ? Is that why I have the errant response when I use my turn signals ?
TIA for any input on this matter !

old Rusty C10 01-07-2024 12:28 PM

Re: Turn Signal Quandries

yes once the pins didnt fit id have looked for the correct switch

jaywashburn 01-07-2024 04:29 PM

Bob, thanks for the response. I kind of figured it was a case of having the wrong turn signal switch. The parts store I noticed sells that TSS & lists it for all square body trucks ('73-87). Will get the right one for my truck from LMC.

Dead Parrot 01-07-2024 04:49 PM

I have a hazy memory(was at least 6 years ago) of similar re-pin issues when I replaced the turn signal switch in my 75. Original column. Also a local parts store switch. But everything worked when I was finished.

Any chance you swapped a pin during your re-pin?

Is the current installed column original to the truck or a swap by a PO? A swap might also explain the plug/pin miss match. If a swap, the PO might have replaced the truck's original plug with the one from the donor vehicle.

jaywashburn 01-07-2024 07:14 PM

DP, the column is original to my '75 truck (non tilt, auto column shift). I suppose I could have installed a pin in wrong slot but I doubt it. I can tell you that the color of each wire of the new TSS lines up with the wire color of the original female connector.

kwmech 01-08-2024 12:26 PM

I only know of 2 different switches, tilt and non tilt column. Even then, the orientation of the wires should be the same so it plugs into the same dash harness

jaywashburn 01-09-2024 11:12 AM

kwmech, thanks for reply. I haven't had a chance to revisit my electrical gremlin but I am sure that the new TTS is the same as the original with the exception of the harmonica plug.The orientation of wires (connector to connector) is spot on also.
I am beginning to think my problem points more to having a ground issue (likely @ front of truck). Will check that next.