The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mechanic cut frame to fit headers, how bad is it? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849822)

Brody54 01-10-2024 06:41 PM

Mechanic cut frame to fit headers, how bad is it?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all, it’s been awhile and my truck has been getting worked on over a year for an engine/ tranny swap. The engine came from a 69 Camaro but same thing, small block Chevy and turbo 400 out and in. Just higher performance and a 383.

Anyways the mechanic kept the headers from the Camaro and cut the frame to make them fit. I’m not happy at all and looking to get a second opinion. How bad is it, and my concern is the frame cracking eventually.

GASoline71 01-10-2024 06:57 PM

Re: Mechanic cut frame to fit headers, how bad is it?

I don't think I'd call that dude a "mechanic". Especially if a SBC engine swap took over a year. But the frame will be fine. It appears he drilled a big hole to get a saw blade in there. There are a couple of spots that should get welded up a bit. It's unsightly, yet repairable.

Gary

HO455 01-10-2024 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Personally I would be concerned with cracks starting in the spots with red arrows and possibly at the yellow arrow too. The photo makes it had to tell if the spot at the yellow arrow has any sharp corners. The mechanic had the rights idea when he drilled the hole at the front end but lost it in execution. Those 2 cuts from the saw blade in the drilled spot are prime places for cracks to start.

And if it was my truck I would weld in a patch piece similar to the green out line in the second photo. The PO of my Burban cut the frame but with a torch which didn't leave any sharp corners. I only had to grind the slag off and make sure there were no sharp corners for cracks to start. Without measuring I don't believe the cutout in my Burban's frame is as deep into the Cee of the frame as yours is, but it is close.

57larry 01-10-2024 07:40 PM

you need to sue "the mechanic"

Keith Seymore 01-10-2024 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9275117)
Personally I would be concerned with cracks starting in the spots with red arrows and possibly at the yellow arrow too. The photo makes it had to tell if the spot at the yellow arrow has any sharp corners. The mechanic had the rights idea when he drilled the hole at the front end but lost it in execution. Those 2 cuts from the saw blade in the drilled spot are prime places for cracks to start.

And if it was my truck I would weld in a patch piece similar to the green out line in the second photo. The PO of my Burban cut the frame but with a torch which didn't leave any sharp corners. I only had to grind the slag off and make sure there were no sharp corners for cracks to start. Without measuring I don't believe the cutout in my Burban's frame is as deep into the Cee of the frame as yours is, but it is close.

Agree; I would probably weld a shaped plate on top to provide a little reinforement but mostly to clean up the appearance.

K

54blackhornet 01-10-2024 08:01 PM

Question? Could you drill holes further outside the cut and bolt a plate on top for rigidity and removable ?

Sicklajoie 01-10-2024 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clean job with mine, looks like the factory did it.

BRL 01-10-2024 09:40 PM

FerKrissakes get some headers that clear the frame to begin with! :mad:

...then get a new mechanic.

But since you're already in this situation, do like others have said and reinforce the frame, otherwise every time you start pulling some torque out of that 383 the thought will be in the back of your mind.

...just my worthless opinion. :)

jerry moss 01-10-2024 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9275117)

I agree, he chopped/ butchered your frame, get the correct "truck" headers and get the frame repaired or it will crack. many years ago my cousin bought a really nice K20 with a big block in it and the frame looked about as bad as yours. we pulled the motor and the front clip, cut patch pieces from a parts truck and I took it to the muffler shop where I work and welded them in top and bottom. cleaned the welds on the top side, primed and repainted it. from the top side you could not tell it was repaired but it still had a good bead on the underside.

LS short box 01-10-2024 10:34 PM

I would get in there with a die grinder and get rid of the drill hole and then a make a plate 3/16" contoured as needed to allow room for the header. Butt weld it in and grind flush.
As shown above it would of been much better to pull the header and and die grind the frame a bit until you had good clearance.

Steeveedee 01-10-2024 11:36 PM

The guy never hear of "tuning dings", methinks. Dents in the headers wouldn't have hurt performance much (if at all), and the frame would have been fine, left alone.

truckster 01-10-2024 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54blackhornet (Post 9275124)
Question? Could you drill holes further outside the cut and bolt a plate on top for rigidity and removable ?

A bolted plate is not going to give it much strength. It needs to be welded.

3drburb 01-11-2024 12:48 AM

It should be fixed as said above and you should also look around to see what else the butcher hacked up for what should be a simple install.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-11-2024 01:36 AM

Wow. Someone really wanted those headers.

novaX522 01-12-2024 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My truck has Hedman headers, not sure what they are supposed to fit. Previous owner clearanced the frame. I thought it was a decent job.
I agree with the others, I would use cardboard as a template on yours and make a patch piece and weld it in. From the pictures, it doesn’t look like much clearance is needed for your headers. Also agree not to use that mechanic 🤪 going forward.

72SB 01-12-2024 06:16 PM

This would qualify as a "hack" mod. A good welder can box in that area and clean it up. May have to pull the header on that side for welding access. This can be fixed to look right and restore, actually improve, structural integrity of the frame.