The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   EV and portable gens go together (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851206)

Boog 03-08-2024 10:38 AM

EV and portable gens go together

We've all seen those memes right?
Yesterday my wife noticed one of those tall sprinter vans next to her at a traffic light with what she first thought was a gas station nozzle sticking out of the side of it. When it pulled away she saw a portable generator in the rear mounted on one of those receiver hitch cargo trays with the cord plugged in.
Yep, they're out there.

DeadheadNM 03-08-2024 11:19 AM

Re: EV and portable gens go together

My brother-in-law early in his engineering career was on a team that literally drove a van mounted generator in So Cal to service the GM EV1.

Keith Seymore 03-08-2024 12:25 PM

That's how they did the development of the GM EV1 at the Proving Ground.

Pulled around a little trailer with a generator on it.

It's where the idea for the Volt came from.

K

Boog 03-08-2024 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kinda like this.

Ironhorse 03-08-2024 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9294169)
Kinda like this.

Gotta' Love It, ! :lol::haha:

72c20customcamper 03-08-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9294124)
Yesterday my wife noticed one of those tall sprinter vans next to her at a traffic light with what she first thought was a gas station nozzle sticking out of the side of it. When it pulled away she saw a portable generator in the rear mounted on one of those receiver hitch cargo trays with the cord plugged in.
Yep, they're out there.

Could it have been a camper conversion? I don’t think Sprinter vans are available as an EV . I’ve used the generator in the motor home while on the road but it’s built in .

Boog 03-09-2024 07:20 AM

She said it was one of those "sprinter type" vans so...

special-K 03-09-2024 07:50 AM

So, rather than use an emissions equipped to federal standards gas-powered engine blowing exhaust through a catalytic convertor, Run an electric motor and gas-powered generator with no emissions equipment that puts out as much pollution as a modern motor vehicle.

I'm no engineer, but why can't electric vehicles run a generator powered by their wheels as they drive?

Keith Seymore 03-09-2024 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9294359)
So, rather than use an emissions equipped to federal standards gas-powered engine blowing exhaust through a catalytic convertor, Run an electric motor and gas-powered generator with no emissions equipment that puts out as much pollution as a modern motor vehicle.

I'm no engineer, but why can't electric vehicles run a generator powered by their wheels as they drive?

It violates the law of conservation of energy and mass.

You can't get back more than you put in.

You can, however, redeem the situation a bit through regenerative braking. Energy gathered during vehicle braking or engine braking can be put back into the battery pack.

K

Dead Parrot 03-09-2024 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 9294156)
That's how they did the development of the GM EV1 at the Proving Ground.

Pulled around a little trailer with a generator on it.

It's where the idea for the Volt came from.

K

A friend has a Volt. For him, it is a nice vehicle. Full EV for most OKC area trips. Charges at home. No range issues when he visits his daughter who lives in the DFW area. He bought it used for a good price as the previous owner had concerns about the battery pack. One thing he has to track is how old the gas is if it has been a while since making a trip to the daughter's place.

62c30 03-09-2024 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9294124)
Yep, they're out there.

I assume like this? I seen this a couple years ago I wondered if it was an EV or a camper.

special-K 03-09-2024 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 9294400)
It violates the law of conservation of energy and mass.

You can't get back more than you put in.

You can, however, redeem the situation a bit through regenerative braking. Energy gathered during vehicle braking or engine braking can be put back into the battery pack.

K

I'm no engineer. I thought there could be like a dual system with an isolator and gearing off the wheel to spin the generator faster than the wheel

Keith Seymore 03-09-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9294423)
I'm no engineer. I thought there could be like a dual system with an isolator and gearing off the wheel to spin the generator faster than the wheel

That could work, but I think you'll find you generate enough energy to run a fan or something small.

K

truckster 03-09-2024 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9294423)

It would violate both the first and second laws of thermodynamics. You would have to have a system with zero heat loss - none whatsoever, and even then it could only power itself. It couldn't propel anything else - like a vehicle or a passenger.

special-K 03-09-2024 07:23 PM

Can electric cars be charged with a generator? Isn't that what these vehicles are doing? Not questioning the science. Just want to understand. Are these generators on vans to run refrigeration to not rob the batteries of charge needed to power the vehicle?

72c20customcamper 03-09-2024 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62c30 (Post 9294416)
I assume like this? I seen this a couple years ago I wondered if it was an EV or a camper.

Camper roof air and vents. They don’t unplug because the generator has a remote start . My Champion 3500 generator has a wireless remote to start it