The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What was your truck before it became a hot rod? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=95807)

'70 C/10 SS500 03-17-2004 05:03 AM

What was your truck before it became a hot rod?

Tell everyone what the storied past holds for your truck if you know it. I believe mine was used for quite a long time as an ice cream truck, I believe the kind that drives and sells on the street, not delivery. Maybe I should turn it into the "Big, Blown, Jinge-Rod!":D I could paint it white, have a few custom grafics on the sides, huge tubbed rear, and have a beautiful 8-71 sparkling out of the hood! Do you think that jingle will attact kids going down the street? Right,...only big-kids-at-heart guys like us!

Longhorn Man 03-17-2004 08:16 AM

The dope smoking old man used mine as a storage shed, and a secret stash hider for his pot so his "'ole lady" couldn't find it. :(
It was also used as yard art.

Randy70C-10 03-17-2004 09:03 AM

Mine was a state truck, with a gawd-awful ugly yellow paint job. :barf: :D

angelsairman 03-17-2004 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 71 is still far from being dubed a "Hot Rod" but the history goes a little something like this. When "Budd" (the name is whole nother story) was new he begain his transformation out here in ND, a spare battery tray was added along with the topper and 3X18 wooden bumper on the front with the rods sticking off of the front. The orignal owner made him into a homemade roadside assistance truck carrying tools and what not in the back and using the spare battery in the front by running jumper cables out of the grill he removed to the posts with another set of jumpers on on the post to jump dead vehicles.. Budd served the orignal owner well for several years but only accumlating 70,000 miles and a case of cancer. Then he was sold to the owner i bought him from as a beater truck to get back and forth from work for about 2 years before i found him and begain his long long transformation back to health. I think somewhere along the way he was also some type of experimental truck, he had so many stripped wires with other wires just twisted on to it some then covered in electrial tape or duct tape or nothing at all tryin to see how many bare wires and added on electrical could be put on without starting a fire, apparently "Budd" passed the test as hes still here with me today bearing the acars of his past as i slowly perform surgery correcting the problems....... Here is a picture of "budd" the fist day i had him home..

racedvl 03-17-2004 10:22 AM

I bought mine off a roofing company. I wish I took pictures when it still had the logo painted on and the ladder rack on the back.

Joe67 03-17-2004 10:26 AM

I saw my 67 for years parked at a neighbors house. Finally in 1991 or so he was moving and put a sign in the window. Within a week it was in my driveway :D

All we have done to it so far:
- Tune up
- Painted dor panels
- new seat cover
- painted wheels and added COPO Camaro style caps
- put treated plywood in bed floor, replacing the see through type that was there :D
- New tires last summer

This summer....stay tuned :cool:

shortymac83 03-17-2004 10:37 AM

My truck had been parked under pine trees for as long as I've been paying attention to that kind of stuff. This august, it moved to the local garage, and I found out that it was given to them. So, I go ask the guys. $650. Come back last week and ask again - $300...

So, my grandma's neighbor saw it and said that he had had his eye on it. It belonged to a handyman here in town and apparently hardly ever left the town limits. Then he died and his wife moved to florida and sold the truck to someone who used it in Culver at their summer house and let it sit for the other 6 months of the year. Then it went to the garage and to me.

dubie 03-17-2004 10:54 AM

I had an 82 GMC Sierra Classic that I bought off Shawnas dad. The frame had been snapped once in an accident and mickey mouse welded back together. He didn't know anything about this before I bought it tho. So I sold the truck to the auto ranch after driving it for a year or so and started lookign for another truck. SHawna was actually the one that saw the post about it on a bulletin board at our bank. SO I called the guy and it turned out to be a 17 year old kid that had it. He wanted $1500 firm, but I wasn't gonna pay him anything under a FIRM price. I told him I would give him $1200 cash right at that moment. He said NO and I figured that was the end of it. He called me the next day and said he could go as low as $1350, and I told him again, all I have is $1200 max to spend. So he hung up. He called me again 2 days later and took my offer. I bought it with full intentions of keeping it a beater and just abusing the hell out of it. But after finding this board back in 2000, I found a new life for this truck. So thank god for this board or she woud be a little beat up right now

Sweet72 03-17-2004 10:57 AM

Hey angelsairman,

Bud looks like McDonnel Douglas' submission to the U.S. Air Farce for the E-3 Sentry (AWACS) program. That would explain all of his stripped wires, and an attempt to install the rotodome on that 2X18 on the front bumper. From what I understand that spare battery was "backup power" for the early warning radar system, and those carefully diguised "jumper cables" coming through the grill were the power and signal feeds for the system. Liberal Democrat Pat Schroeder of Colorado was instrumental in killing this version and Boeing's version was accepted by the Air Force in 1972! Really...:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

gr8scott51 03-17-2004 12:04 PM

Plumber's helper

My truck was orignally owned by a plumbing company, at least that what it says on the bill of lading. I'm sure it had a couple other owners before me because it got a cheap makeover at some point (paint, seat cover, air shocks, a piece of varnished marine plywood over the rotten bed floor and a tired 307 in place of the I6). I found it on a lot with a ridiculous price on it, paid half of what they were asking (it was still too much), drove it home and then found all of the problems. You can put a dress on a pig, but it's still a pig. So 3 years and way too much money later, I proved you can turn a sow's ear in to a silk purse.

72afr 03-17-2004 12:05 PM

my truck was an army transport vehicle, then a fire department in MO (Downing - if anybody knows where that is) bought it and painted it a horrible yellow color. Then it sat in a field for a number of years

krazy_texan 03-17-2004 12:14 PM

mine 71 was originally bought by a rich guy to do simple work around his farm and whatever other pulling he had to do, then it was sold to the 16 year old who used to mow his yard, some years later it made its way from oklahoma city to fortworth where that now grown man needed money and sold it to me, as for my 67 i have no idea about the history

greasemonkey 03-17-2004 12:20 PM

Mine was a Mexican house painter's truck. He did some really weird stuff to it, that I am still finding and fixing.

Putter 03-17-2004 12:57 PM

As boring as this might sound, mine was bought new in '69 by my grandfather. 35 years later, it's mine. I am the second owner. Only thing ever replaced were tires, fluids, and wiperblades. Still has the original windshield in it (it is cracked here and there, but it's original) and original wood in bed. No real attention getting story there, huh?

Bill72BB 03-17-2004 01:25 PM

Mine had a 10ft Dreamer cabover camper on it ,It was sitting in some older guys driveway he had upgraded to a 5th wheel and later model truck and just had the truck and camper as a backup.
He finally decided he needed the room and sold it to me .First thing I did was take the camper off and with the overloads on the truck it had about a 10" rake and would rattle your teeth when you hit the slightest bump.

beautimus 03-17-2004 02:14 PM

well, my truck as a whole isn't very interesting, it belonged to a guy about 30 miles from me who bought it used, then gave it to his son, who was gonna restore it. he got as far as sanding it and putting primer on it before he put it out to pasture literally.
then i bought it and started tearing into the old rust bucket.
heres where the adventure part comes in.
the fenders were rusted through from the top side next to the hood. so i went shoping for new ones. i bought a fender off of ebay that was from arizona, by way of british columbia, a little filler but not to bad. the other fender came from a buddy of mine who bought it from goodmark and couldn't get it to fit right so he sold it to me to pay for his used fender he bought. come to find out he didn't have everything adjusted right because his new one didn't fit either.
the right door came from a arizona truck off of ebay. the bed came from a buddy of mine who bought aparts truck. he likes step sides so he didn't need the short fleet bed. it was near perfect so for 400 bucks i got bed tailgate and all.
boardmember fast71 found me a good drivers door. (thanks brian) then while i was tearing the cab down i found the roof of my cab was rusted out all the way across the back window.
so dtlilly (board member) sells me another 71 cab that came from
about 20 miles from my home town. ( blount county ala. to memphis to bibb county alabama). so thats where i am right now
a basement and yard full of the most widely traveled junk in the state. lol !!!!!

724x4a/cchevy 03-17-2004 03:13 PM

The Previous owner of my truck was in the battery hauling business. old batteries break easily battery acid leaked all over the place. There was a hole big enough that i could fit through in the bed floor. a 2ft X 2ft hole.

67Fleetsidedream 03-17-2004 03:35 PM

A truck :)

cochran63 03-17-2004 03:47 PM

in 1989 my dad traded a 79 transam and a grand for my c-10. He drove it for about 2 years and parked it behind the garage after he blew up the 2nd 327. It set like that until I turned 16 and my dad said that he was going to buy me a new truck and i told him that i didnt want a new truck. I told him i would rather have the old 63.

PanelDeland 03-17-2004 03:57 PM

Bought mine from a carpet layer in Childress Tx.He had used it for 3 years to lay carpet.His wife was a foriegn national who couldn't drive or get ins.he had a small son and another on the way and couldn't figure out how to haul carpet and two car seats in a panel.He had rebuilt the motor but little else other than drive it.He had also bought it from the original owner who of all things bought the truck new to drive to and from work.

hotrodtroy 03-17-2004 04:09 PM

I bought mine this past January from a guy that was getting divorced. He looked like a cartoon version of the Hatfield's and McCoys, that should have been my warning. From what I gathered is he and his son tried to build a hot rod out of it. The engine is out of a 68 camero and the heads are off the original engine, and the tranny is out of an olds. Anyway, the kid turned 16 and started driving it, went racing and rolled it. They took it to a "body guy (crack head)" and he cut the top off tried to take out a couple of wrinkles then welded the top back on the filled the wrinkles in the bed in with bondo(1/2" thick). looks like I have my work cut out for me. HAHA

project1971 03-17-2004 10:04 PM

Well the old man ordered it from a dealer in Scottsdale, took delivery of it Feb. 1971. He told them he didn't want dealership badges on the truck and when they brought it out to him they were on both fenders. He said nice truck but thats not mine! He turned and walked away and they chased him down and finally talked him into taking the truck, with differant hub cabs. He then removed the ALL the badges on the truck and had the holes leaded in. He drove it everyday untill about 2 years ago a said he was going to sell it! I told him hell no! i had plans for that truck when he was dead! He didn't like that too much but few months later he trailered out here too me! The rest is slow progress.

Joey-D 03-17-2004 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I delivered a pizza to the guy I got mine from. I started asking him about, told him what year it was before he could tell me. He asked me if I wanted to buy it, I told yep. He said he bought it to restore it but had came across a f*rd rustang gt he would rather restore. I looked it over, it looked good so I picked it up. A 69 SWB for $1800 didn't seem bad, plus 69 or older is emission exempt in Missouri. He it is when I got it, exept for the tires, I need them for my truck had a flat. Doesn't look bad, but wait!

Joey-D 03-17-2004 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Joey-D 03-17-2004 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
frame