View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #19
super72bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cadc10
that is very clean and nice, excellent job.
I am in the middle of the same thing. If you don't mind, how much did you pay for powder coating?

After seeing this I'm thinking of having the front control arms and some other misc. pieces coated. Can you take them rusty/dirty parts or do they have to be clean and ready for powder coat? I've never had anything powder coated before.

thanks for any info.

I have no problem sharing the cost of powdercoat with you, however because I live in Canada, I may not be the right one to give you that answer. I have seen a few quotes here on the board for powdercoating and it seems that they are a little lower in the States because of the exchange rates I think mainly.

I used a local company here in Calgary to powdercoat everything. I disassembled the chassis, took it to the car wash to degrease it all. Then I dropped it off. They covered all the refinishing including the sandblasting. I had most everything I could powdercoated. From the entire chassis to the bucket seat rails, many small interior parts, engine brackets and pulleys Rad support+battery tray, The new box cross members, hood hinges+latch assembly, I also had them powder coat the inside of all the wheel wells. I think the total for the powdercoating is around 2300.00 Canadian which would be about 1850.00 USD. I don't know if that helps you without really knowing how many peices I di have refinished but for an example they charged me 500.00 to do the frame ant the 3 crossmembers that were left in it.

A few things to consider are... if you can find a company to powdercoat you parts, try to find one that has done alot of automotive stuff. In my case the powdercoat company I used saved me tons of time by masking the parts off in certain areas before putting the powder on. As it was I had to spend quite alot of time removing some powder from a few areas and it was not fun.

I also recommend having the company sandblast the parts themselves. It does cost more but it makes them responsible for the whole job.

The only real negative thing I have found with the powdercoating is that if you have any rust pitts or corrosion areas in the metal then you are stuck with them. I had to search around to find a nice pr of lower control arms because mine were not so hot.

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote