View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 11:25 PM   #25
72longbed
Account Suspended

Exclamation Glass Half Full?

Saw this Thread and had to share my recent experience with retro tanks. Bought one of those steel blazer tank kits from 'The Truck Shop' in Cali. at Carlisle, put it in behind the rear axle with all the new hardware and sender that came with it. Well, a 72 C20 with a lot of 'rake' (back being about 2.5" higher) must not be the chassis for the guys who make up the sending units. It would never read more than 3/4 full on the gauge, even with gas flowing out the filler neck. Had no problem going all the way to empty, even below empty on the gauge. So one day I pulled the new tank out and took out the sender and bent the float rod so the float went lower into the tank. Did the trick, now when the tank is topped off, the gauge reads very full. Just had to re-learn the hard way where really empty is.

I guess the lesson learned was; don't assume that what you buy aftermarket or even factory is going to be exactly right for 'your' truck.

BTW, anybody else with this tank have trouble with it wanting to feed very slowly?? I've been thinking to try and use the extra fittings at the upper side areas as vents also and sort of 'TEE' them all together to the tube thats welded in to the filler neck?? Do you think this will improve the vent flow?

Thanks,
72longbed
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote