View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #42
Purs
Got Big Block?

First let me say, it is a BEAUTIFUL truck that I'd LOVE to have. MUCH nicer than mine probably ever will be. However, I'm very happy with my project truck and feel no jealousy what-so-ever. I also don't like how people sometimes nitpick any little thing about peoples rides. However, I didn't feel like that was the case here, just calling BS. I will limit my remarks and just refer you to some information I pulled from a popular performance website, smokemup.com.

Information is straight from his car domain site, left of the first pic.

Bragging Rights
Quarter Mile: 12.6 s @ 116 mph->
0-60: 6 s
Est. Horsepower: 600
Weight: 3800

Here is a calclation that figures HP from ET found at smokemup.com

Vehicle Weight 3800(lbs)
Elapsed Time 12.6 (sec)
Drivetrain loss 20 (%)

Results:
375.5 Rear Wheel HP
469.4 Crankshaft HP

Here is what 600RWHP should equate to in a 3800.lbs vehicle, also according to smokemup.com

Vehicle Weight - 3800 (lbs)
Wheel HP - 600 (HP)

Results:
Trap Speed - 131.84 (mph @ end of 1/4 mi.)
E.T. - 10.77 (seconds @ end of 1/4 mi.)

Here is probably the most accurate way of telling horsepower, Trap Speed. Spinning or not, your MPH will be very close and is a very good indication of what kind of HP you are actually making. Anyway, here's the results:

Vehicle Weight - 3800 (lbs)
Trap Speed - 116 (mph)
Drivetrain Loss - 20 (%)

Results:
Rear Wheel HP - 402.7
Crankshaft HP - 503.4
Power to Weight (rwhp) - 9.4 (lower is better)
Power to Weight (crank hp) - 7.5 (lower is better)

If you think I've doctored the results in some way because I'm jealous, then please run the numbers yourself. http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/hp_mph.php

you decide if the numbers seem optimistic.

my question is how "optimistic" does something have to be to be "misrepresentation"?

I will say once more, it is a beautiful truck, that I'd be more than proud to call my own.

PS. I looked for an email address (but didn't find one) to contact the owner to compliment him on the beautiful truck and to ask about the engine and how he arrived at the estimated numbers.

Last edited by Purs; 03-25-2005 at 09:14 PM.