View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 04:24 AM   #24
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
Cleskie,, hey,, well, it sounds mainly as it is coming from the back and low end. I had thought it could have been a cam lobe or lifter break in problem as you noted. I have not ruled out the possibility of a collapsed lifter. But it is a pretty solid thunk to be a lifter. I hate to pull the motor and have it not be readily apparent what the problem is. Some one suggest I pull the filter and use a pipe cutter on it and open it up and inspect for metal. I am going to do that once I get a spare hour. In the midst of a huge contract of cabinets building, so making it very hard to squeeze any mechanic time in. I feel as if I should drive it long enough to either blow up or become apparent as to what is wrong. If it blows up I get a new engine out of the deal, as it is under warranty. If it is something that requires a rebuild is a drag because I paid big bucks for a BRAND new motor, not a used part in it. Block, heads, bolts etc. And a 400 flex plate for NeonLarry.. So a rebuilt motor means all of the geometry that I paid for in a brand new motor is no longer there. So,,,, a bit of a hassle here. and this too shall pass eh. I am still thanful for many other blessings that I most certainly have, so must keep it in perspective. But what a pain.. lol .. Thank you