View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
Bobalouie
Fetzer Valve Technician

I dont recommend trying to fab something up with the replacement panels that you can get. It is very difficult and very expensive. I am currently replacing my wood floor with steel on my fleetside, and it is a royal pain. I am new to bodywork so it may be easy for someone with experience. Of the list of things to do, the ends are not finished, so you have to find something to do there, there is not a single dimension that is correct, and I had to split the panels in half, thru the wheel wells, trim an inch out, and weld back together, new crossmembers have to go in, etc. I will be in it for about a grand by the time I am done. Just for the floor. I would recommend using a piece of diamond plate steel, pull your wood floor out, and weld tubular crosspieces in to attatch the frame, and then use your bedsides as a template to drill the holes for mounting the sides. You will also have to weld in a support lip in the front for the front panel to fit correctly. Here is a pic of my bedfloor project, and you can see the amount of cutting and welding involved. I also had to trim 3/4 of an inch off of the sides to make the wheelwells fit right.
Attached Images