View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Weld Wheels/Bad Experience

I bought a set of Weld Racing"Outbacks"(8x16)for my `95K3500 work truck a few years back.They weren`t cheap as you know,about $212@.They claim a rating of 3500# a piece and that their "cold-forged" wheels are what you need to run the big meats.Well,I was only running 285/75x16s so...Anyway,a few months after I had them I had a slow leak on one tire.Took it in,tire`s fine,it`s the wheel.I ask around,lot`s of 1/4-milers say"yeah,that`s happened.I just air`em up before I race or dismount and caulk the weld if it`s that bad."So that`s what I did.I use a b/a tri-polymer urethane caulk called Geocel.I`m in the siding business,that stuff beats all!There was no visible defect and I caulked(clear) all the way around the weld real good.I let it cure like two weeks.Seemed to hold.Then I have motor problems and the truck sat for a year(losing a year of use on my 3-year wheel warranty.It`s up and running,then,I have a total flat one day.Take it to tire shop,they dismount,and we see a separation at the weld 2/3 around the wheel.That thing was coming apart!I call about the warranty,it`s 6 weeks expired.I explain it first showed a problem when only a few months old and how I was trying to save us all the hassle.And,that I can prove the wheel never turned for a year due to major motor problems.Their answer,"you can buy another one."Yeah,right!I had a set of 1/2 the cost,less weight rated,lifetime guaranteed AR23s I bolted on and run`em and run`em.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote