View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

I've had good luck with them too. I think when you sell used parts, there is always a perception gap, as in what does "rust-free" mean to you? Also, you can run into the occasional "prima-donna" customer who can't be satisfied short of getting new for the price of used. So a used parts vendor will in general have more detractors than a new parts vendor, regardless of how upstanding and honest they "attempt" to be. It's part of the recycled parts business paradigm.

Having experienced enough buying and selling transactions of the years I can offer this advice:

It's best to inspect a used part in person, so in general I try to buy local. Short of that I buy from trusted sources like Teeitup or Manes. Also the level of customer service is important too. I feel that if you pay a premium price you should get the same level of customer service. That is why my expectations are high when I buy new through a board vendor and I will pay a bit more if the service is there. That is why I don't generally buy from the lowest priced outfit. Furthermore, never buy off auction sites and expect any level of customer service (whether the part is new, used, or rebuilt). If you're bidding for an item, your objective is to get cheapest price, and you're "rolling the dice" for that reason.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all