View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
4x4Poet

I finally got to NAPA to buy another lower hose. For my '71 K10 4x4 burb, they gave me part # NEH 7463. The same hose is on my '72 K20 4x4 pickup because I originally purchased it for the burb but used it on the pickup months later (slow resto).

On the '72 K20, the hose has between 3/8" and 1/2 inch clearance over the frame where the lip is bent up into the top of the frame. I was able to put my Mechanix gloved fingers between the hose and frame without moving the hose.

Looking at the new hose I just bought, I think it clears the frame well because the pre-formed elbow at the water pump is quite pronounced, so it sends the hose more upward than other hoses I've used. It may be that the previous hoses I used that had springs in them were not able to achieve such elbow bends with the spring inside. Just a guess, that spring thing.

For those that missed the other hose thread, one of the NAPA guys said that these hoses don't have springs inside because they are quality and won't collapse. Only cheap quality (not thick rubber, adequate nylon cords, or good density) need the spring. I have no idea, though I've had no collapsing hose issue. Take it FWIW.

Like I said above, no promises. Just my experience on one '72 4x4 truck.