View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: After market bolt and screw kits..

Stainless fasteners have their own problems. Having spent several years working corrosion problems in aircraft, I have some knowledge on the subject. The two biggest problems are:

Thread galling: This occurs when a SS nut is used on a SS bolt. Under pressure, the threads will weld themselves together, making separation difficult. Anti-sieze or threadlocker will help, but the best practice is to use an alloy steel nut on a SS bolt.

Galvanic corrosion: When SS is in contact with a non-ferrous metal (aluminum, brass, copper) an electrical field is created, and causes corrosion. Again, anti-sieze or threadlocker will help.

It is highly recommended that anti-sieze compound or threadlocker be used on any SS bolt in any application. Buy only SS fasteners that are graded, the system is similar to that of alloy steel bolts. I know that GMC Paul sells bolts from Totally Stainless, they come in plastic packaging with labels for where they go. What is sold in most hardware stores is not graded, and of questionable quality.

ARP makes good bolts. Aircraft quality, too. But the cost is high, and the average truck owner will get better use of his money with Totally Stainless.

Alloy steel bolts are also good. Most of what is sold now does not have a good enough finish, and they start to rust as soon as a wrench is used. The black phosphate is better than most zinc plating, but that also depends on the quality of the finish. Again, use only graded bolts. Grade 5 for most truck applications, grade 8 where the added strength is needed, such as suspension. If you follow the advice of replacing a bolt with the same grade as the original, you will have a hard time going wrong. Also, the kits will be cheaper than the hardware store.

Another finish on alloy bolts not mentioned is cadmium plating. Usually gold colored and found on grade 8 bolts. It is also better than zinc plating, as long as it isn't damaged during installation.

I buy most of my bolts at a farm store. There the grade 5 bolts have cad plating, which I prefer. The grade 8 bolts there have a purple finish, similar to the cadmium. All of their bolts are made in Rockford, IL. This allows me to get a decent price, a good finish, and the bolts are made in the USA.

With any bolts, I am now using threadlocker or anti-sieze on my trucks. Most locations get blue Loctite, where strength is needed red is used. Anti-sieze for high temp and lug nuts. This helps keep rusted bolts from being a problem. Also, the Loctite products are now offered in stick form, making their use cleaner.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.