Thread: Cummins Power
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #37
TP from Cntl PA

Re: Cummins Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad
Just a possible tip for you guys. Never seen a cummins conversion but there is a 71 around here with a detriot in it. To carry the extra weight he strapped a transverse leaf underneath the front crossmember with the ends hooked to the a-arms. Not sure if he made the whole thing up himself or not. But i've seen similar setups on motorhomes. He puts alot of miles on this truck and hasnt had any chassis trouble yet.

This is for the 2wd swappers of course.
What Detroit did he use? 4-53, 4-71? I wanted to use a Detroit, but going with the Cummins it was cheaper. Sounds like a neat truck though............One thing about the Detroits you can put a REAL Jake brake on them off a larger one(6-71 or bigger), not one of those wimpy exhaust brakes on this other ones that everyone brags up.

The suspension on my 4x2 is pretty close to maxed out in the front end. I planned on just air bagging it, but my have to look into that as I am not crazy about all the extra junk I have to haul to use air bags.

I am going to use a 6-71 Detroit in my next pickup with a few mod's, I'll probably have people swerving off the road infront of me when I am driving it..........I am one of the few whole love hearing a Detroit Scream.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote