View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
PKelly

Re: '68 Chevy LWB Stepside

Thanks for your reply/info Ron 586 and thanks for the welcome from all.

I realized I didn't mention whether it is a C10 or C20 a while after I posted the message. It's a C20, 3/4 ton truck. I don't know if it's a camper special...I'll need to look at the tag on the glovebox door. I'll take a picture of that too. I don't recall any emblems on the outside to that say Camper Special ...just "Custom" on the doors...and "C-20" (I think) on the front fenders. My plan is to soften the suspension by changing it out. I recall it is an extremely rough/bouncy ride when the bed is empty. Made for a great hauler of a full cord of wood though...rode like a Cadillac!

I'll crawl under the truck to look at cab corners, cab supports and rockers.
I am mechanically minded. While I've never dug deap into an engine, I've change my own oil, brakes shoes/pads, plugs, distributor/rotor, plug wires, belts, hoses, t-stat, water pump, radiator...the 'external' parts of an engine. When my straight six needed an overhaul, a professional mechanic my dad knows really well did the overhaul for us at his shop/business. I get a Hanes manual for all my cars (when one's been written) to learn how to do things myself. My wife is very happy I can do things on my own...saves lots of money.

I have a 2 car detached garage that I just about doubled in size about 5 years ago by building a 16 x 20 extension onto it. The addition was for my woodworking shop...another hobby of mine. So, there's plenty of room for this project if I leave my current truck outside. My struggle is going to be the time to get the job done...and the specialty tools needed when digging deaply into the engine. That's why I was thinking I'll have the work done.\

Patrick
PKelly is offline   Reply With Quote