View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #20
Kontrol Phreaks

Re: kp components weld in step notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShoe24
I just got off the phone with Clint from KP, seems to be a great guy, really into what he does witch always is a plus. I've seen plenty of pictures to determine that this is a great looking step-notch. This will be my first time installing a step-notch, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys

First off you want to make sure the truck is firmly secured on jack stands. Then make sure you have plenty of support in front of the area to be cut, as well as behind the area as well. You can either use jack stands or tack weld some frame supports to the back of the frame rails in this situation. Makre sure to throughly clean the frame area where your going to be working, so you can make your points clearly, and have a clean surface to weld to. ( Putty knife yo scrape debris off followed paint thinner on a rag worked good for me)
You can jack the rearend up to the bottom of the frame rail to help you find where the center of the is going to be once the truck starts to come down. Mark your center line on the frame because this will help you center the notch. Next mark the center of the notch side plate. With the center line marked, place on the the side of the frame, line up the center marks and clamp in place. Repeat that when doing the inside plate. Once you have it set, double check your measurements and weld her in. You can then add the top plate and weld it in.
Next step over and repeat the process on the other side. Find a factory frame hole and measure to make sure that the notchs are the same from side to side. You can use the bed mounting holes if you want to, and you can also us the back of the frame rails. Make sure everything is weld in solid before you cut the centers out. I like to have one notch center completely done before I start the other one.

Hope this will give you some ideas or pointers when it comes to installing the notch. If you have any other questions you can always email me directly and I'll do my best to help them.

Clint Petree
KP Components Inc.
www.kpcomponents.com
Kontrol Phreaks is offline   Reply With Quote