View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: How to make your cargo light double as a 3rd brake light... and look bone stock

So, now you have the bolt emptied out, take 2 pair of pliers, one placed behinde the head of the bolt, and the other at the back end, and try to bend it.
It won't bend, it'll snap.
This is where you may need the bandaids.
Slide the wire and LED back into the bolt so it looks like this;

You can dab some sillicone there, but it's not really needed.
Now, take the 2 new and improved short bolt LEDs, and install them on the light side of the cargo light. run the nut on there like you did on the other side, and try not to hurt yourself since you grabbed a 12 inch adjustable becouse you were in a hurry. (again... maybe some band aids)
I had yet to slide the lights back into the bolt at this stage..what ever you want to do, the last two steps are reversable.

Now, on this particular brand, there are 2 wires on the lights. a black wire, and a black wire with a white line (called a tracer). The tracer wire, is the positive, and the black is negitive. You can ground it anywhere to the body of the truck. The positive wires, need to be all spliced in together with a butt connector,a nd run into one wire.
Feed the one wire into the cargo light hole in the back of the cab, and guide it so it goes around the back window, towards the drivers side. If you do this right, the wire will show up by the fuel tank on the drivers side. Take this wire and run it to the wire on the brake light switch found above the brake pedal. There's 2 wires, and i can't remember which is which. (haven't installed it yet) You'll want to tap into the wire that is only powered when you depress the brake pedal.
Now, install the assembly, and sit back and smile.

When i powered mine up...I felt the 4 leds were a little underpowered. Not by much, but a little. So I drilled one more hole, dead center, behind the cargo light bulb. I didn't have a red light around...but I did have ablue one. (*think old school hot rods with the blue dot in the tail light) Well, it sounds good, and in my head it looked good, but it's cop bait, so I'll be heading back to Meijer to buy 2 more red ones.
My pictures here are pretty lame, and do not show the intensity...nor the coolnedd of these leds. They light up the lens quite well, and can be seen fine in day light, or night time.
Remember, I can't take very good pics, and my camera is only slightly more advanced than a10 year old with a box of crayons.;

Now, with any luck, I'll be able to cut the hole in the back of my cab this upcoming weekend, and install it.