View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: How to make your cargo light double as a 3rd brake light... and look bone stock

It is much brighter than it looks, my digi cam really sucks.
The blue light, I wouldn't call it ricer... that's old school stuff, think blue dots in the tail lights. It is not staying there, becouse yes, in Ohio, it is not legal to have any color other than red in the brake light...and this does include the blue dots. (Although, if you have a motorcycle, it IS legal.... I was p!ssed when I saw a Columbus City Police motor cycle with a blue dot, and looked into it)
My cargo light was already removed, from start to finish, I'd say less than 1 1/2 hrs... including stopping for the pics.
The red bulb idea is cool if you don't want the cargo light anymore, however, the electricals wouldn't be as simple as Rokcrln said. The cargo light assembly has no ground. It is mounted in rubber gromments, as huck mentioned. (hick, I'm looking for a better way, I'll post it if I come up with something) If doing this that way, with a single red bulb, you'll need to ground the body, THEN you can do the snipping as he mentioned.
Painting the inside of that white, or lining it with foil wouldn't do anything. The LED's are very directional. There is no red light on that surface that you'd paint, it is all directed to the lens, and then spread about through the refracting effect that the bends on the lens cause. The foil or paint WOULD help, if you did it Rokcrln's way with the red bulb.
Paul... if you can't remove the cargo light... you need help.
Huck,
no, sorry dude, I'm not going anywhere this weekend, My to-be-exwife's sister and grandmother will be in town...those two women are the best part of her whole family, I intend to spend some time over there and deal with *her* so I can see them. ..wish me luck.
As for the blue led... I had it laying around, becouse my dash lights are blue led's, and i wanted to add one in the ash tray. (it looks quite sweet) and since these come in packages of two... I had a spare. Iu also bought another pack of blue ones, and I am going to try to light up my aftermarket acc guages that are mounted in the dash. The blue rubber covers on those bulbs look like crap in comparison to the blue LEDs in the dash.