View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
mrein3

Re: How to make your cargo light double as a 3rd brake light... and look bone stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler
OK,, stupid question #893 from me.. can I add a cargo light to my cab even if it didn't have one before? how difficult is that to accomplish? I really like what you did..
Can you add one? Yes!
Is it difficult? No!

I bought a used assembly off of somebody here on the parts board. You need all the stuff on the back of the cab. The wiring and switch are one assembly. They piggy-back into the orange/white dome light wires if you have a dome light.

For templates to cut into my cab I went by da-burb's place and made a template from a factory cargo light cab that da-burb already removed the light from. The switch mounts inside the cab. It is basically two holes drilled in the inner wall of the cab with the space in-between the two holes filed out.

The base plate for the light switch inside the cab and the outer, chrome light assembly cover up all but the most egregious of mistakes you make with your drill and hole saw.

Oh, and per the debate a few weeks ago on this list...
The cargo light only works when the dome light is on. Either with the door open and the cargo light switch on, or with the headlight switch rotated all the way left, with the cargo light switch on.

BTW Longhorn Man, I saved the pictures from your first attempt at this with the Radio Shack Red LEDs. I liked the idea back then. I like it now. I just need to get to the bling-bling aisle at Wal*Mart
Center City, MN