View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: goodmark are they any good ?

My understanding is that there are only about 4 or 5 stampers of after market GM resto parts. Most all are in Taiwan with one or 2 here. The Taiwan companies are all some how related. So it is not uncommon to order from goodmark or classic industries and get a Keyparts piece or order from Keyparts and get a Triplus part, which by the way have identical logos except for the name. The GM resto parts are supposed to be just like oem or NOS. If they are not certified GM resto they may not be as tight on tolerances.

I was also told that it may not be the new part. It may well be the truck from all the years of torquing and twisting. Things are a little out of spec and the old fender or what ever has actually shaped it self to a distorted spec so it only looks like its the new one that’s messed up but really it the truck itself.

Knowing a little about the metal stamping process I do know that no two pieces will come out of the press exactly as designed. If the sheet goes in cockeyed it stamps and comes out not to spec. Sheet metal has a grain of sorts that will make it twist or torque when it comes out of the press making it not fit right.

So there are a lot of variables including the vehicle that it’s going on.

The parts below are left and right cab corners for a 58 3100. the right one went into the press cockeyed and the bottom edge is not straight like the left one its scaloped and the door lips don't line up with each other. If they stamped them as we think they should, then they should be a mirror image, which these are not. They aslo are no so far out thet a body man can't get them right. They may be a challenge for me but I'm not a body man.
Attached Images

Last edited by dwcsr; 05-26-2006 at 08:39 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote