View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Frizzle Fry

Custom Inner Panels

I moved this from another thread to avoid a hijack situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbstudios
What were the steps to make that happen?
1)Bought the wood grain paneling at Home Depot. I think 2 4x8 sheets was all it took at about $10-$15 each. Also bought some foamy insulation tape to go on the top edge of the panels. This gives it a snug fit in the chrome trim.
2) Removed existing ugly-as-sin inner panels.
3) Traced the outline of all panels including all holes onto the new paneling. I made sure all the top edges were cut on one of the horizontal "milled" lines so they all lined up front to back when installed. I also made the left rear panels one-piece instead of split. So pay attention to the gap between those as originally installed if you plan to do the same. Set that gap when tracing the panels.
4) Cut with a fine tooth jig-blade. Put masking tape on the saw shoe to prevent marring the panels.
5) Not shown in my pics, I drilled trough the panels into the doors and tapped w/ 1/4-20 extra holes around the parameter of the panels. So there are 3 screws on the each side and 4 on the bottom. All the same 1/4-20 pan head allen screws.

One thing I might change if I did it again is the rear panels were hard to get all the screws to line up. You might be better off putting them in place and drilling/tapping those screw holes in place.

Also, be sure to use a sealer of some kind on the back of the panels in case they ever get wet back there (and they will even with all new seals/scrapers).
Quote:
Where did you get the rubbers for the door cranks?
Those are just the standard escutcheons. 7 required for a Suburban. I made the holes in the panels the right size so they clip in. You can get them from any of the vendors. Here's an example ->Link to escutcheons
Quote:
When can you come do mine???
I have family in Phoenix, but I won’t be coming down there until after the summer months when the sun moves from its current distance of ¼ mile away.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote