View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #277
Rokcrln

Re: Project Penicillin~ 68 crewcab build up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72
rokcrln,
man you have some really good skills!! it is going to be awsome to see your final work. i am assuming that when all said & done this will look similar to the cover truck in classic trucks the gold & white one from pro designs. i can't wait t osee some more pics. i do have a question or two for you though. they are to get your opinion on how to do something. i am trying to "cut" about a 1/2" from the top & bottom of the x-member that used to hold the carrier bearing on my '72 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd p/u. i am wondering if you could tell me a good tool to use (i don't have a plasma cutter or any of those fancy tools alike) i was thinking maybe a airsaw with a steel blade??? i am running a 1 pc. driveshaft & woould like a little more clearancearound there. the truck is lowered 5" rear & 4.5" fr.it is a small area & not sure what would fit around there... thanks for any input!!!!!
Hard to say but if it out of the truck I would say drop by a muffler shop and have them slice some of it out. But since it is probly in the truck and with out the easy tools I would try a 4" cut off wheel and a grinder and just take your time and be safe doing it (welding gloves and a long sleve jacket, glasses and hearing protection). Draw the line you want to cut and take the grinder and all you want to do is scratch the metal on your first pass and then each pass after that just go a little deeper. It is the easy but it can be done. Then after you are done use a die grinder to clean it up or a rat tail file. Good luck!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote