View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: Finally Starting To Plan A Garage(need some wisdom)

You can see my garage in the background of this picture. It's 25ft wide and 30 ft long. My opinion is wide doors are cheaper than paint and fenders. That door is 12x10. At 25 or 24 foot wide work space is going to be tight with two trucks in there. I know it can be done but my bud has a building the same size with two 10x10 doors and is always pulling things in at an angle so he can work around them. A door three feet from the wall leaves plenty of room to open a door or swing the handle of a floor jack. Also a buiding less than 30ft long will be tight when using a cherry picker. I know you can let the back of what you are working on hang out a little but that really sucks when it's freezing outside and you are trying to run a heater. A 20ft wide building that was 30ft long would still bring you in under your restrictions. Slap a 12ft wide door right in the center or slightly offset like mine and you would be good to go. Store one out of the weather and pull it outside when you have another project working. Anyway take your time and do your research, it's like anything it will be cheaper to do it right once instead of having to rebuild it later. And the covered awning/carport built outside the door is a great idea. I would think that would work good on days it was raining and you wanted the door left open.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote