View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #67
Decypher

Re: 55 project thread

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread, this being my first post. I have a 1957 Chevy short bed step side.

I notice that a lot of folks were asking about the fuel tank. The one that's in there is really nice, but I got mine from CPP. It fits in there like a glove and it looks really nice. 19 gal all aluminum. It comes with the hardware to mount it into the frame; bolts, and a flange with nuts welded on. You might as well throw the nut flange away, cause it's worthless. Then when you mount it in, you can only get six out of the eight bolts in, big deal, those last two bolts won't do much good for you. The sending unit is sold separately, but made to match the tank. It's a pretty good package and I don't think it was any more than 400 for both.

I do have a novice question about your '55. The dash; did you cut out the panel where the radio, heater, and glove box are or did you just weld over it. This may seem like a dumb question but I have no experience period in sheet metal work.

It's a good looking truck though. About the suspension, I put a monoleaf on the front and it dropped it a couple of inches but it rides like a 19th century suspensionless horse carriage. To get a good ride while slamming it, your best bet is going to be an IFS preferably with air bags, not cheap, but probably worth it. That's going to be my next major expense on my '57 after the engine. Anyway, that's my two cents.
Decypher is offline   Reply With Quote