View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
chook

Re: Hi from Downunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim
Welcome from up above!

I've often wondered about you guys that have these trucks in other countries and how rare they are. We here in the US don't see ourselves coming down the other side of the road (similar truck) too often and I can only imagine what it's like in another country.

.....and how hard is it to get your hands on a 67-72, or for that matter, any American iron?
Hey SactoJim,
Thanks for the welcome buddy.
I am a confessed trajic when it comes to early GM trucks and passenger cars.
Down here we look long and hard for early iron. This '71 C10 I just purchased was just a fluke I stumbled on locally. Like I said, it had been imported some 20 years ago or so, and the guys I brought it off had garaged it for 10 years and rebuilt her.
I currently have 1 other early truck - LHD 1950 Chevy 1/2 t pickup I imported myself from California. Its a Ratrod, flat black and pencilled white flames, 305/TH350, Monte Carlo front clip, 10 bolt rear, power/tilt steer, American Racing Torque Thrust 2's etc. It was my daily driver, but now is up for sale.
I also imported at the same time a 1950 Chevy COE cab.This is my project truck. I have built it into a crewcab dually, suicide rear doors, 2 step running boards, fabricated stepside bed, sitting on a 1976 C30 chassis, 500" Cadillac power, TH400, 9'' converted dually rear,
59 chevy passenger car dash graft, Dakota Digital gauges, power tilt steer,
A/C, power windows etc etc. I hope to have it running later this year so I can get it to the panel beater for final panel work and painting.
Other cars I own in the stable are; 1960 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, airbagged, flamed and wide whites.
1953 Cadillac Coupe de Ville under construction - body off resto.
Vehicles owned in the past - 1953 Chevy 1/2 t pickup, 454BB 671 Huffer, prostreet tubbed, 9"- 4 link coil over rear. 41/2 years build time.
2000 C1500 LT spec Silverado 4 door extended cab, 5.3 Vortec.
1957 Cadillac Coupe, 1953 Buick Special Coupe. 2 x 55 Chevy 4 door Sedans, 1955 Chevy 1/2 t truck.
Most of the above cars I have searched for on the web and imported myself.
The Cadillacs came out of Hamilton,Montana. I was over in your fair land back in April 2001 to look over the cars and arrange shipping. I also took in the Paso Robles run and some NHRA drag racing while there.
So as you can see I am very serious about my GM's. I actually think my old man immigrated to the wrong country when I was still a twinkle in his eye. He immigrated to New Zealand from The Netherlands back in '59.I was born in '60.
I have lived in Aus for 20 years now.
Its a trajic story I know. I am the president of the Tumut Rod and Custom Club here in town and yes there is a lot of early Yankee iron in the country, and plenty more coming in each day.
We love our US cars and trucks out here, probably more than you guys and gals over there. We spend lots to get the right ride imported and built, but its what we love to do.
I hope you enjoyed the journey.
I will post some pics of all my cars just as soon as I figure out how to down size my jpg files. Can anybody help me on this?
Regards
Chook
chook is offline   Reply With Quote