View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #15
67chevy2wd

Re: holy volts batman!!

Why take it in to get it tested, the alternator is already on the test bench(the engine) that is all a test bench is a motor to turn it and a carbon pile to put a load on it. Run the engine and turn all the accesories and see what it is putting out for volts, Don't use a multimeter to check amps unless it designed to you will fry the fuse, get and ammeter for that. It should say say what amps it should put out on the alternator. The gauge is fine like longhorn man keeps saying, the 15v tells you it is putting out too many amps, so the gauge in the pickup should be reading higher than normal. 13.5-14v is what you should see when you hook up a volt meter any higher is not normal and there is something wrong. So the problem is the regulator is not regulating the voltage like it should be for what ever reason. Longhorn man I don't understand how not bypassing the stock regulator would cause this, I know it has to be bypassed but could you still explain. If it were me I would check and see what I am getting for volts at my #1 and #2 terminals on the regulator if you did bypass the stock regulator. Help me out again longhorn man but isn't the energize terminal hooked up to the batt terminal on the alt and where does the sense hook up to again.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote