View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 09:54 AM   #6
Yellow Cheyenne

I'm not familiar with short frames, but on LWB 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton pickups, the frames themselves are the same shape. The swap can be done, I know cause I've done it (went from coil to leaf on a friends pickup). The frame rails are straight on 4x4's, and CKHD's illustration is correct to my knowledge (again, I'm not all that familiar with 4x4's), but from what I've seen, he is correct on the 4x4.

Back to the swap I am familiar with. You will want to get all of the hardware from the donor pickup. It will be best to have both frames next to each other as you do the swap so that you can see all of the necessary bracket changes. Even the E-brake cables that go into the drums are different. The main frame brace just below the rear of the cab is the same, just has more brackets bolted to it for the coil suspension. The carrier bearing and drive shafts will also be different, although you could use the leaf drive shaft and bearing with a coil setup, you would probably have to change the input on the rear end.

Please note, all of my experience was on a long wheel base, 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton. Don't know how much of it is correct for the short wheel base, but would guess a lot of it would be the same. I prefer the leaf setup for trailer towing stability. If ride and/or racing is your main concern, coil is probably the better setup.

Happy wrenching (and torching)!
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote