View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #85
shifty
Questionable

Re: my official 68 shortstep ls1 thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseychoptop View Post
just looking at the overflow tank for your rad, i have a 400ci smallblock and the rad just has a overflow pipe draining on to the fllor if it overflows, is that not right then

This is the stock setup. Normally, the overflow tube will come out of the radiator, clip onto the side of the battery box and just pour to the floor.

In theory, when your radiator heats up, pressure develops against the spring loaded rubber cork inside the cap, and when it hits a certain PSI (should say on the cap), the rubber cork is pushed up, allowing water to flow into the radiator.

I read recently that the radiator should be able to push/pull water from your resevoir when needed. Still not sure how that works with pulling the water back out of it though.

So, I guess, ultimately the answer is "yes, no overflow tank is normal", but a lot of the guys add them on here.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote