View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
blacktruck
Super Trucker

Re: Starting Truck After 15 Years

i did this same thing you are doing. do pretty much everything these guys are saying. you'll be thanking them when it fires up and doesn't wipe a cam lobe or puke a rod up. you don't want to crank it over a lot at first. that causes excess where on the cam lobes, lifters, main crank bearings, etc... you get the idea i'm getting at? oh yeah, jerry can at the pump, i'd even go and get a new pump if it was me. plugs, marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, crank it over with breaker bar a few times just to make sure it's not binding up somewhere. pull the valve covers, dist. and prime the oil pretty good. check all the fluids, belts, hoses. it's probably gonna smoke for a bit so you might want to do a ring reseat procedure after all this time. but yeah, make sure it's got PLENTY of fuel. of course keep the extinguisher around. safety first. basically everything posted by the other wise men before me. i just wanted to post something worth reading and reiterate the importance of everything they said. good luck, be safe.

edit... if it doesnt crank right up at first, pull a spark plug, ground it on the block and make sure it's getting spark. else it won't ever fire no matter how much you try. possible causes could be hei module or bad coil if you have points.

Last edited by blacktruck; 12-29-2006 at 10:03 PM.