View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #112
byrd
Union Electrician

Re: My build up thread 67 small window short/fleet

A little progress to report. I have got a veteran bodyman who is one of my closest childhood friends older brother, and he has agreed to help me out with Frank. We started on the cab and have made some good progress. The first spot was the firewall on the DS as it had been beaten up pretty good by what looked to be a flat tire in times gone by, while he worked it over with a hammer and dolly for several hours the pinched welds on the seam between the floor and the firewall started breaking apart and we had to drill some holes to spot weld it back together.The cab support rail(?) also need some attention as the spot welds in it near where the floor and firewall meet and alos at the top where it attaches to the firewall near where the steering column will be. We still need to shrink the metal around where the wiring harness comes out of the firewall, but will do all the shrinking at the same time. We have dollied out all the dents we can get to and he has worked the PS cab corner straight (what a job that was!!)and we found a few pin holes in it that we welded up last night. While he worked on the cab corner I started shaving the firewall, I got the heater box shave and the clutch rod hole shaved, still have to do the gas filler, blower motor, and a few small holes in the firewall that I won't be using. I'm going to shave as much as I can off the firewall, including the tach wiring hole, the taillight harness hole, and all the little rubber retainer holes that were used to hole the firewall padding in place. I may even shae the sppedo cable hole if I can come up wioth a good way to route it and keep it inside the cab until it has to go down to the tranny.I have a old high school buddy that is going to let me use his stud welder and slide hammer to pull a few dents out that we can't get from inside. I will get started on that this weekend if I have the time. Now for a few pics
Attached Images

Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 01-05-2007 at 11:03 AM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote